Jun 5, 2013, 6:27 PM PDT
SAN JOSE — San Francisco 49ers tight end Vernon Davis has 4,351 career receiving yards and 40 touchdowns in his seven-year NFL career. He has played in the Super Bowl, he set a single-season touchdown record for tight ends with 13 in 2009, and he hauled in a game-winning touchdown pass from Alex Smith in the 2011-12 playoffs against the Saints that is often referred to as “The Catch III.”
At 29, Davis has done a lot. Yet, even with his pristine physique, he had never walked the catwalk in a fashion show, until Saturday, when he strutted his stuff during the Santana Row Summer Fashion show, a benefit event that helped raise money for the Vernon Davis Foundation for the Arts.“To me I’ll just imagine I’m walking out of the tunnel about to play Green Bay,” Davis said before hitting the runway. “It’ll be fun. I’m excited. They’re probably expecting me to do something funny.”
When asked if “something funny” meant falling off the stage into the pool, he smiled and said, “Nice try.” He made it around the stage without incident, and even broke out a few dance moves. It would be natural for an NFL player not to take a fashion show too seriously, but this event meant much more to Davis than style.
Davis owns an art gallery. He paints, takes acting lessons, and even delivered a monologue at a spoken word event on Friday night in San Jose. His reach goes much further than football. Making sure talented artists from underprivileged backgrounds have the tools to succeed is the reason he started his charity.
“It’s in my heart to give back and just share some of the things that I’ve been blessed with,” Davis said. “It touches my heart to be able to give back in so many ways, and this is what today is all about.”
If he has to do something that could be perceived as strange — like walk a catwalk — to help his cause, it’s not going to stop him. And with any luck, being a well-rounded individual will help him be just as unstoppable on the football field.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Betcha' didn't know this about baseballs
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Hall and Oates, Tears For Fears Show in San Jose Postponed
- Pepper Spray Prompts Evacuations at South San Jose Hotel
- Highlights: Another Giants loss? Here's a skateboarding dog and dancing kid
- Father Arrested After Abandoning Baby in Suisun City: Police
- Bochy voices frustration with umpire after loss to Pirates
- Pavlovic: Headed to Sacramento, Pablo has lot of work to do
- Fallon Smith throws down on Ahmed Fareed in #DriveByDunkChallenge
- Listless Giants roughed up by Pirates in ejection-filled series opener
- Woman Arrested in Man's Fatal Stabbing in Burlingame Home
- Done with SJ, Pablo trying to get to San Francisco as soon as possible
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|