Jun 12, 2013, 11:45 AM PDT
OAKLAND — He’s known as The Sandman, but he’s never been called The Pizza Man. Mariano Rivera is arguably the most well-known pitcher in Major League Baseball. He is MLB’s all-time saves leader and has amassed 631 saves over his 19-year career (so far) with the Yankees. So why is Rivera spending part of his afternoon delivering a meal to the Oakland Athletics mailroom?
Rivera, 43, is retiring at the end of the 2013 season. As part of his farewell tour, he wants to meet an unsung hero-type at each of his final stops. In Oakland, that person is Julie Vasconcellos. She’s a huge baseball fan, and has worked in the A’s mailroom for 25 years. She was shocked when the five-time World Series champion walked into the room with a pizza.
It is a classy gesture from one of the game’s all-time greats, and it is unlike anything done in the past. Rivera has learned to appreciate the game of baseball from the clubhouse, dugout, and pitcher’s mound, and now in his final season, he gets to share the limelight with some of the stars behind the scenes. Comcast SportsNet was lucky enough to share the moment with “Mo” and Julie. Enjoy the video.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Graveman delivers in front of 'Blue Moon' Odom, rest of A's can't
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|