Jun 12, 2013, 11:45 AM PST
OAKLAND — He’s known as The Sandman, but he’s never been called The Pizza Man. Mariano Rivera is arguably the most well-known pitcher in Major League Baseball. He is MLB’s all-time saves leader and has amassed 631 saves over his 19-year career (so far) with the Yankees. So why is Rivera spending part of his afternoon delivering a meal to the Oakland Athletics mailroom?
Rivera, 43, is retiring at the end of the 2013 season. As part of his farewell tour, he wants to meet an unsung hero-type at each of his final stops. In Oakland, that person is Julie Vasconcellos. She’s a huge baseball fan, and has worked in the A’s mailroom for 25 years. She was shocked when the five-time World Series champion walked into the room with a pizza.
It is a classy gesture from one of the game’s all-time greats, and it is unlike anything done in the past. Rivera has learned to appreciate the game of baseball from the clubhouse, dugout, and pitcher’s mound, and now in his final season, he gets to share the limelight with some of the stars behind the scenes. Comcast SportsNet was lucky enough to share the moment with “Mo” and Julie. Enjoy the video.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- The Raider Rusher is very real, will debut Tuesday
- The Hidden Relics of Candlestick Park
- Field of Links: Curry's popularity continues to rise, a Kuiper-wich, and a Superman double backflip
- Police Arrest Man After Car Chase at Caldecott Tunnel
- Nearly 3,000 Oakland Teachers Will Strike Thursday
- Marin County Declares Local Emergency Over Hwy 37 Flood
- MLB rumors: Bryce Harper ‘could be rounding third’ on Phillies contract
- Sharks weren't perfect, but still happy to grind out win vs. Canucks
- Sharks fend off pesky Canucks for seventh win in last eight games
- Shot of the Game: Joe Pavelski clinches Sharks' win over Canucks
- 2019 NBA All-Star Game: Ranking every player from 27 to LeBron James
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in Erik Karlsson's return in win vs. Canucks
- Sharks' Erik Karlsson picks up assist in first game back from groin injury
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|