Jun 12, 2013, 11:45 AM PST
OAKLAND — He’s known as The Sandman, but he’s never been called The Pizza Man. Mariano Rivera is arguably the most well-known pitcher in Major League Baseball. He is MLB’s all-time saves leader and has amassed 631 saves over his 19-year career (so far) with the Yankees. So why is Rivera spending part of his afternoon delivering a meal to the Oakland Athletics mailroom?
Rivera, 43, is retiring at the end of the 2013 season. As part of his farewell tour, he wants to meet an unsung hero-type at each of his final stops. In Oakland, that person is Julie Vasconcellos. She’s a huge baseball fan, and has worked in the A’s mailroom for 25 years. She was shocked when the five-time World Series champion walked into the room with a pizza.
It is a classy gesture from one of the game’s all-time greats, and it is unlike anything done in the past. Rivera has learned to appreciate the game of baseball from the clubhouse, dugout, and pitcher’s mound, and now in his final season, he gets to share the limelight with some of the stars behind the scenes. Comcast SportsNet was lucky enough to share the moment with “Mo” and Julie. Enjoy the video.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- VIDEO: SF Batkid saves Giants' mascot Lou Seal from Penguin
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Former Cal Bear Jaylen Brown holds heavy heart in win over Warriors
- Khalil Mack wants to be Raider for life: 'That’s a no-brainer for me'
- A's Hire Design Firms For Proposed New Baseball Stadium
- Awards season reminds us how far Giants fell in 2017
- Five Men Sue San Jose Police, City For Gay Sting Operation
- Steinle Trial: Jurors Can Consider 1st-Degree Murder Verdict
- UC Regents Chastise System President's ‘Poor Judgment’
- First New Muni Train Goes Into Service in San Francisco
- Escaped 'Psychopath' Explains Why He Fled Hawaii Hospital
- Tesla Unveils Plans For Electric Semi, New Roadster
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|