Jun 19, 2013, 5:37 PM PDT
It’s Throwback Thursday, and on this week in 1972, the Oakland Athletics Mustache Gang was officially born.
There are conflicting reports as to how the trend started in the A’s clubhouse. The most accepted explanation is detailed in Bruce Markuson’s book A Baseball Dynasty. According to Markuson, it all started when Reggie Jackson showed up to spring training with a full mustache and claimed he’d grow a beard before Opening Day.
At the time, baseball was ultra conservative and being clean-shaven was one of the game’s unwritten rules.
So, A’s owner Charlie O. Finley instructed manager Dick Williams to tell Jackson to shave, and as the story goes, Jackson told Williams to shove it.
Attempting to use reverse psychology on the individualistic A’s star, Finley talked other players into growing mustaches thinking Jackson would get rid of his once he wasn’t the only one bucking the system.
It didn’t work.
Soon the mustaches became popular, and ever the opportunist, Finley decided to capitalize on the buzz from the fuzz by offering his players $300 if they grew a mustache by Father’s Day. Before salary arbitration and free agency, A’s players had to scratch and claw for every nickel and dime from the notoriously frugal A’s owner. Cash for a ‘stache was too good to pass up. Even Williams ended up growing one.
To this day, Jackson still maintains a mustache. As do Rollie Fingers, Joe Rudi, and Ray Fosse, who joined the team in 1973. What started as a trend on this week in 1972, became one of the hallmarks of an A’s dynasty. They defeated the Reds in the 1972 World Series in a battle dubbed by many as “The Hairs vs. The Squares,” and ended up winning it all again in 1973 and 1974.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Betcha' didn't know this about baseballs
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Hall and Oates, Tears For Fears Show in San Jose Postponed
- Pepper Spray Prompts Evacuations at South San Jose Hotel
- Highlights: Another Giants loss? Here's a skateboarding dog and dancing kid
- Father Arrested After Abandoning Baby in Suisun City: Police
- Bochy voices frustration with umpire after loss to Pirates
- Pavlovic: Headed to Sacramento, Pablo has lot of work to do
- Fallon Smith throws down on Ahmed Fareed in #DriveByDunkChallenge
- Listless Giants roughed up by Pirates in ejection-filled series opener
- Woman Arrested in Man's Fatal Stabbing in Burlingame Home
- Done with SJ, Pablo trying to get to San Francisco as soon as possible
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Curry…|
|louiecarmae on More pics of Balfour’s m…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: ‘Get Nin…|