Jun 19, 2013, 5:37 PM PDT
It’s Throwback Thursday, and on this week in 1972, the Oakland Athletics Mustache Gang was officially born.
There are conflicting reports as to how the trend started in the A’s clubhouse. The most accepted explanation is detailed in Bruce Markuson’s book A Baseball Dynasty. According to Markuson, it all started when Reggie Jackson showed up to spring training with a full mustache and claimed he’d grow a beard before Opening Day.
At the time, baseball was ultra conservative and being clean-shaven was one of the game’s unwritten rules.
So, A’s owner Charlie O. Finley instructed manager Dick Williams to tell Jackson to shave, and as the story goes, Jackson told Williams to shove it.
Attempting to use reverse psychology on the individualistic A’s star, Finley talked other players into growing mustaches thinking Jackson would get rid of his once he wasn’t the only one bucking the system.
It didn’t work.
Soon the mustaches became popular, and ever the opportunist, Finley decided to capitalize on the buzz from the fuzz by offering his players $300 if they grew a mustache by Father’s Day. Before salary arbitration and free agency, A’s players had to scratch and claw for every nickel and dime from the notoriously frugal A’s owner. Cash for a ‘stache was too good to pass up. Even Williams ended up growing one.
To this day, Jackson still maintains a mustache. As do Rollie Fingers, Joe Rudi, and Ray Fosse, who joined the team in 1973. What started as a trend on this week in 1972, became one of the hallmarks of an A’s dynasty. They defeated the Reds in the 1972 World Series in a battle dubbed by many as “The Hairs vs. The Squares,” and ended up winning it all again in 1973 and 1974.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Giants lineup: Nunez scratched, Williamson in left field
- Cooper: 'I can go nowhere but up,' wants improved play down the stretch
- Giants notes: Growing group of infielders trying to transition to outfield
- Never-Before-Seen Parts of Winchester Mystery House Unveiled
- One-time A's draft pick Aaron Judge now toast of New York
- Man Found Stabbed to Death in SF's Bernal Heights Park: PD
- Death Linked to Botulism Reported in Napa County
- Jury to Start Deliberating Thursday in Jail Guards' Trial
- Podcast: NBC's Tirico on Open, Olympics, Tiger and Coach Belichick
- U.S. Women's Open sectional qualifying results
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|