Jun 27, 2013, 11:44 AM PST
On this week a decade ago, Barry Bonds swiped his 500th base, making him the charter member of baseball’s 500/500 club. At 37, Bonds already had 633 home runs, and his 500th stolen base on June 23, 2003 placed him in an ultra-exclusive club that he will likely remain the sole member of forever.
No active player is even close to joining the 500/500 club. Alex Rodriguez, 37, needs 182 more stolen bases. Albert Pujols, 33, needs 18 more home runs and 408 more stolen bases. In fact, there’s only one active player with more than 500 stolen bases, Juan Pierre, with 609, but he is 482 home runs shy.
The milestone moment occurred in the ninth inning with Dodgers closer Eric Gagne on the mound. Moments later, Giants catcher Benito Santiago singled home Bonds to score the game-winning run and beat the Dodgers 3-2 in walk-off fashion.
“I think it’s great, something I hope is going to be around a long time. You never know,” Bonds told MLB.com. “But my dad probably wasn’t here to see it. … He hasn’t stayed a whole game for a long time.”
For Bonds, the day he joined the 500/500 club was memorable for reasons beyond the box score. His father, Bobby Bonds, made a special appearance in the Giants clubhouse before the game.
At the time, the elder Bonds was undergoing chemotherapy for lung cancer and had a brain tumor. He passed away two months later on August 23, 2003. He was 57-years-old. He was there for his son on that historic day, and was reportedly watching the game nearby with Barry’s godfather, Willie Mays.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jerebko leads trio of potent options, as Warriors' bench scoring rises
- Steph Curry wanted a lob pass for a dunk; Kevin Durant said 'Nah son'
- Sonoma Co. Agrees to $3M Settlement to Family of Andy Lopez
- Sharks vs. Wild watch guide: Projected lines and defensive pairs
- 2019 NFL draft order: Raiders move on up, still stuck behind Cardinals
- Giants outfield situation could change drastically before Opening Day
- NBA refs respond after Andre Iguodala tweets about James Harden's stepback
- Robbie Gould, Mr. Consistency, faces uncertain future with 49ers
- 49ers rookie Tarvarius Moore shows Kyle Shanahan he's 'not scared'
- 49ers Solomon Thomas' best plays of career won't show up on stat sheet
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|