Jun 28, 2013, 2:22 PM PDT
When the Oakland Athletics announced they were going to be giving away a Coco Crisp ‘Bernie Lean’ bobblehead (or bobblewaist in this case), it was met with so much fanfare that they had to increase their order from 10,000 to 15,000 units.
The leanin’ figurine is a tribute to the appropriately titled song, ‘Bernie Lean,’ by Southern California-based rappers ATM and IMD. Last season, Crisp started stepping to plate to their song and the dance became one of the hallmarks of the A’s late-season run that ended in an American League Division Title. Crisp and his teammates were even featured in a music video shot at the Oakland Coliseum with the rappers.
The first 15,000 fans in attendance for Saturday’s game against the St. Louis Cardinals will get their hands on their own bobblehead, but Comcast SportsNet obtained an early prototype and we put it to the test.
It is clear that Crisp and his bobblehead can Bernie Lean, but the question is how far? Using a protractor, it was determined that the Coco Lean maxes out at 130 degrees.
— According to the manufacturer of the bobblehead, BDA, Inc., the Coco Lean is made from a hand-made mold and each one is painted by hand.
— This bobblehead is made of polyresin and it takes approximately 5,813 pounds of the plastic material to make 10,000 figurines. When the A’s upped the order to 15,000 units, it upped the weight of polyresin used to 8,719 pounds.
— BDA, Inc. uses 9.3 ounces of polyresin in each bobblehead on average, and they will be making 1.7 million bobbleheads in 2013.
The Coco Lean Bobblehead is perhaps the most creative A’s giveaways to date. When you’re leaning in the crowd on Saturday with your own figurine, you can now do so with more facts than you’ve ever wanted.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt Cain to match up to $50k in donations for Make-A-Wish
- Iguodala, Curry name-dropped in Kevin Hart rap video
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Why a Steelers 2-time Super Bowl champ was in Oakland fighting diabetes
- Update on projected return of 49ers' injured players
- Why Gabe Jackson sees plenty of potential in Raiders offensive line
- Newsom to Ask PG&E to Pay Back Those Affected by Shutoffs
- Governor Signs Bill to Push Back School Start Times
- California Regulator Sanctions PG&E Over Power Shutoffs
- Zay Jones pushing hard to learn Raiders offense, make instant impact
- George Kittle knows why Jimmy Garoppolo threw five picks vs. 49ers defense
- Warriors vs. Lakers live stream: How to watch NBA preseason game online
- 49ers' George Kittle, Joe Staley know how handsome Jimmy Garoppolo is
- Jerry Rice believes 49ers could play in Super Bowl after 5-0 start
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|