Jul 1, 2013, 1:15 AM PST
There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Bye-Bye, Bernie?:
Massive crowds of people braved triple-digit heat on Saturday, as they lined up as early as 7 a.m. to get a Coco Lean Bobblewaist.
The giveaway was wildly popular, but Coco Crisp resisted the temptation to change his walk-up song back to the Bernie Lean, potentially signaling the end of the craze.
The A’s took two of three from the St. Louis Cardinals, but what you may have missed was the incredible work of the grounds crew. They had to deal with over 800 dogs on the field prior to Friday’s game, and on Saturday, they watched in horror as rappers ATM and IMD ran all over their freshly prepared infield in a pre-game performance. Clay Wood, the A’s head groundskeeper, was armed with a hose and it was clear that it took all of the strength he could muster not to fire a few warning shots.
No. 2 – A Giant June swoon:
How happy are the Giants that June is over? Our Insider Andrew Baggarly counted the ways, after the Giants snapped their six-game losing streak with a 5-2 win over the Rockies:
They were 10-17 – their worst month since they went 8-16 in July, 2008. Angel Pagan had surgery that will keep him out till September. Middle relief was a gong show. The offense disappeared for long stretches, showed up confused and wandering the cereal aisle at Safeway in bath slippers, then disappeared again.
Madison Bumgarner picked up the win and even flashed some of his sneaky sense of humor. He impersonated an airport gate agent when reporters gathered around him prematurely.
“I didn’t call you yet,” he said, then finished buttoning his shirt. “Okay. Zone 1.”
No. 3 – Extra! Extra! Sharks deliver:
The Sharks made a trade during the draft to acquire forward Tyler Kennedy from the Penguins. According to Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz, he’s a guy that has been on their radar for quite a while. Kennedy is a pending restricted free agent and looks shockingly like the kid on the cover of the popular 1984 Nintendo game, Paperboy.
Hopefully he delivers.
No. 4 – Cowgirl Up:
The U.S. Women’s Open concluded on Sunday and Inbee Park captured the headlines by winning the event. Not to be overlooked, however, was the performance of 17-year-old Livermore native Casie Cathrea. The East Bay resident earned Low Amateur honors by finishing 9-over 297 — two strokes better than the closest amateur.
Cathrea is committed to Oklahoma State University and let her new colors fly on the golf course.
No. 5 – Tour De France dog:
Two of the Bay Area’s most cherished things, dogs and bicycles, nearly collided at the end of the second stage of the Tour De France on Saturday. Fortunately, crisis was averted when the dog scrambled out of the way just before the pack of cyclists zoomed past.
Belgian cyclist Jan Bakelants ended up taking the stage and hopefully everyone that witnessed the event avoided making Baja Men references.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Stephen Curry's palatial Oakland penthouse is for sale
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Kings trio puts on a show at 2019 NBA Rising Stars Challenge in Charlotte
- Records Challenge Nebraska's Account of Washington Case
- Why Colin Kaepernick's NFL settlement doesn't mean he'll rejoin league
- 75-Year-Old Woman Miraculously Survives Sausalito Landslide
- Klay Thompson volunteers his time to kick off All-Star Weekend in Charlotte
- Get primed for the NBA 3-point shooting contest featuring Curry vs. Curry
- UPS Driver Praised for Purposely Driving Slow During Pursuit
- Bat Found at Southland Mall Tests Positive for Rabies
- Oakland Teachers May Strike Next Week
- Steph Curry sits down for exclusive interview from NBA All-Star Weekend
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|