Jul 12, 2013, 9:39 AM PDT
Life-long Mets fan Michael Jawitz is trying to make a point. He believes that all baseball fans should support Bryan Stow and help combat fan violence.
Jawitz, a San Francisco resident who grew up in New York, runs the blog GrubbyGlove.com and he’s planning several fundraising efforts to support the Stow family after a 2011 attack following a Giants-Dodgers game left Bryan critically injured.
Jawitz was also that Mets fan at AT&T Park collecting signatures on a poster in support of Stow earlier this week. He plans to deliver the sign to the Stow family soon.
“Giants fans want to help and if it takes a loud New Yorker to push it along, that’s fine,” said Jawitz, at AT&T Park on Wednesday as the Mets took on the Giants.
Jawitz is brainstorming ways to raise money to support Stow. On his website, he is asking people across the country to forgo one day at the ballpark this season, and to send the cost of the tickets they would have bought to the Stow family. He is also collecting vintage San Francisco Giants baseball cards and art that he will auction off later to raise money.
Jawitz currently isn’t collecting any money on behalf of the Stows. He says he needs to form a non-profit organization first — something he’s in the process of doing. He has also partnered with FansAgainstViolence.com. Bryan’s sister, Erin Collins, confirmed via email that Jawitz has been in touch with them and they support his efforts.
According to the attorney for the Stow family, Bryan will incur over $50 million in medical expenses. They currently have a lawsuit filed against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Former Giants slugger Barry Bonds has also agreed to chip in and send both of Stow’s children to college.
Stow is currently at home with his family, but he needs nursing care, which isn’t covered by his insurance. The family posted on their website that he isn’t getting the physical therapy he needs due to a cut in medical coverage. He still needs all the support he can get, and his family will appreciate it no matter which team you root for.
Click to donate to Bryan Stow here
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Field of Links: Ray Lewis has a check for Ahmad Brooks, Rangers' marketing mistake
- Check out Stephen Curry's 'Voodoo' shoes
- Roy Steele narrates phenomenal 'This is Oakland' video
- Warriors say their showing progress even if the scoreboard says otherwise
- Kings' lack of maintaining intensity costs them game vs. lowly Knicks
- Jimmy Garoppolo 'really good,' but not elite, analyst Chris Simms says
- Warriors 'tired of losing' after falling to 5-22 on season
- Alec Burks drops 24 points against former team, but Warriors fall to Jazz
- Shot of the Game: Kings' Buddy Hield with an up and under slam
- Shot of the Game: Marquese Chriss follows block with wide-open dunk
- Bogdan Bogdanovic channels MJ, Steph Curry with shrug after 3-pointer
- Kings takeaways: What we learned in tough 103-101 loss to Knicks
- Analyst Chris Simms doesn't believe Jimmy G is elite
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|