Jul 12, 2013, 9:39 AM PDT
Life-long Mets fan Michael Jawitz is trying to make a point. He believes that all baseball fans should support Bryan Stow and help combat fan violence.
Jawitz, a San Francisco resident who grew up in New York, runs the blog GrubbyGlove.com and he’s planning several fundraising efforts to support the Stow family after a 2011 attack following a Giants-Dodgers game left Bryan critically injured.
Jawitz was also that Mets fan at AT&T Park collecting signatures on a poster in support of Stow earlier this week. He plans to deliver the sign to the Stow family soon.
“Giants fans want to help and if it takes a loud New Yorker to push it along, that’s fine,” said Jawitz, at AT&T Park on Wednesday as the Mets took on the Giants.
Jawitz is brainstorming ways to raise money to support Stow. On his website, he is asking people across the country to forgo one day at the ballpark this season, and to send the cost of the tickets they would have bought to the Stow family. He is also collecting vintage San Francisco Giants baseball cards and art that he will auction off later to raise money.
Jawitz currently isn’t collecting any money on behalf of the Stows. He says he needs to form a non-profit organization first — something he’s in the process of doing. He has also partnered with FansAgainstViolence.com. Bryan’s sister, Erin Collins, confirmed via email that Jawitz has been in touch with them and they support his efforts.
According to the attorney for the Stow family, Bryan will incur over $50 million in medical expenses. They currently have a lawsuit filed against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Former Giants slugger Barry Bonds has also agreed to chip in and send both of Stow’s children to college.
Stow is currently at home with his family, but he needs nursing care, which isn’t covered by his insurance. The family posted on their website that he isn’t getting the physical therapy he needs due to a cut in medical coverage. He still needs all the support he can get, and his family will appreciate it no matter which team you root for.
Click to donate to Bryan Stow here
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
- Melvin on Graveman double play: Best play manager has ever seen by pitcher
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|