Jul 30, 2013, 4:36 PM PDT
Has Brian Wilson turned heel? He went from a beloved figure in San Francisco, the guy that was on the mound when the city won their first World Series Championship, to a Dodger. He has become “Hollywood” Brian Wilson. Face it, he sort of was already.
He brought a sasquatch to an award show, people. He was eccentric, strange, freakishly bearded, and even dressed as a sea captain for a talk show interview one time. He was beloved in an eclectic city like San Francisco as a Giant, and will surely be detested by the same folks that embraced him if he ends up appearing in Dodgers blue.
Wilson was great for the Giants. In seven seasons he racked up 171 saves and had a 3.21 ERA. It wasn’t his fault his throwing arm broke down and he had to undergo a second “Tommy John” surgery. In fairness, the Giants released him and didn’t extend a formal contract offer. But choosing the Dodgers? That cuts to the core. Check out some of the fan reaction on twitter as the news was breaking.
In a funny development, the term “trader” started getting thrown around a lot at the time the news was breaking.
All hope for civilization wasn’t lost, though. The correctly used term “traitor” also spiked, just not quite as high.
Probably sensing some backlash, Wilson tweeted some kind words to the Giants fans that were upset.
In the end, it’s just business. The Dodgers are in first place, were willing to pay him, and they play in his hometown. How can he not make that decision?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- NFL rumors: Antonio Brown files second grievance with NFL over helmet issue
- More Suspected Arson Fires in Downtown San Jose
- IN-GAME LIVE: 49ers vs. Broncos
- No Phones: San Mateo High Launches New Program For Students
- Why George Kittle's dad writes him a letter before every 49ers game
- How D'Angelo Russell impressed Warriors GM Bob Myers with his maturity
- Firefighters Battle Blaze in Sonoma County
- Steph Curry announces plans to fund Howard University golf teams
- Garoppolo to Return to Field in 49ers-Broncos Preseason Game
- Multi-Vehicle Crash Snarls Traffic in San Jose; No Injuries
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|