Jul 31, 2013, 9:23 AM PDT
How many of you out there are obsessively clicking the refresh button on your browser window, starving for every little trade deadline nugget and morsel?
Take a deep breath. Okay, take another one. Feel better?
Yes, today is Major League Baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline. It isn’t, however, the real deadline for trades to be made. It just means that after today players will have to pass through waivers before a team can move them. While the hype machine builds and the inevitable flurry of moves occurs, remember, moves can and will still be made.
Two notable moves were made by contenders on Tuesday. Jake Peavy will be changing his sox. And the Oakland Athletics added yet another versatile infielder in Alberto Callaspo, by sending prospect Grant Green to the Angels. Callaspo will be used exactly as they hoped Green would be (until he went 0 for 15 after being called up) in a platoon with Eric Sogard at second base.
Time will tell if the Angels or the Athletics won this trade, but for now, the real winner appears to be A’s prospect Sonny Gray.
Across the Bay Bridge it is obvious the Giants should be sellers. The question is how far they are willing to go? Hunter Pence has been moved in a deadline deal two years in a row, and he is on high alert according to our Giants Insider Andrew Baggarly.
We talked for a bit before batting practice and I told him that it’s a good barometer that so many teams (Reds, Rangers, Yankees, Pirates) have been linked to him. It should give him some idea that he’ll have no shortage of choices when he hits free agency after the season.
“That’s true,” Pence said. “Thanks for cheering me up.”
Field of Links:
— Ladies and gentlemen, the worst fist pump ever *dramatic echo* ever, ever, everrrr.
— If Rickey doesn’t win every race, I quit.
— Unless Rickey is racing this guy.
— One 49er feels very bad for Percy Harvin, who will miss 3-4 months. Or, at least, I think he does.
— Happy Gilmore is to golf as Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe is to pitching. (That’ll be an SAT question some day.)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt Cain to match up to $50k in donations for Make-A-Wish
- Iguodala, Curry name-dropped in Kevin Hart rap video
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Why a Steelers 2-time Super Bowl champ was in Oakland fighting diabetes
- Zay Jones pushing hard to learn Raiders offense, make instant impact
- Gov. Newsom to Ask PG&E to Provide 'Automatic Credit' to Those Affected by Outages
- George Kittle knows why Jimmy Garoppolo threw five picks vs. 49ers defense
- Warriors vs. Lakers live stream: How to watch NBA preseason game online
- 49ers' George Kittle, Joe Staley know how handsome Jimmy Garoppolo is
- Jerry Rice believes 49ers could play in Super Bowl after 5-0 start
- Napa Man Wins Weigh-Off With 2,175-Pound Pumpkin
- Patrick Marleau thanks Sharks fans for warm welcome back to San Jose
- Source: Giants interested in Cubs' Will Venable for managerial opening
- Steve Kerr jabs Warriors over lack of rebounding during preseason play
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|