Jul 31, 2013, 9:23 AM PDT
How many of you out there are obsessively clicking the refresh button on your browser window, starving for every little trade deadline nugget and morsel?
Take a deep breath. Okay, take another one. Feel better?
Yes, today is Major League Baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline. It isn’t, however, the real deadline for trades to be made. It just means that after today players will have to pass through waivers before a team can move them. While the hype machine builds and the inevitable flurry of moves occurs, remember, moves can and will still be made.
Two notable moves were made by contenders on Tuesday. Jake Peavy will be changing his sox. And the Oakland Athletics added yet another versatile infielder in Alberto Callaspo, by sending prospect Grant Green to the Angels. Callaspo will be used exactly as they hoped Green would be (until he went 0 for 15 after being called up) in a platoon with Eric Sogard at second base.
Time will tell if the Angels or the Athletics won this trade, but for now, the real winner appears to be A’s prospect Sonny Gray.
Across the Bay Bridge it is obvious the Giants should be sellers. The question is how far they are willing to go? Hunter Pence has been moved in a deadline deal two years in a row, and he is on high alert according to our Giants Insider Andrew Baggarly.
We talked for a bit before batting practice and I told him that it’s a good barometer that so many teams (Reds, Rangers, Yankees, Pirates) have been linked to him. It should give him some idea that he’ll have no shortage of choices when he hits free agency after the season.
“That’s true,” Pence said. “Thanks for cheering me up.”
Field of Links:
– Ladies and gentlemen, the worst fist pump ever *dramatic echo* ever, ever, everrrr.
– If Rickey doesn’t win every race, I quit.
– Unless Rickey is racing this guy.
– One 49er feels very bad for Percy Harvin, who will miss 3-4 months. Or, at least, I think he does.
– Happy Gilmore is to golf as Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe is to pitching. (That’ll be an SAT question some day.)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Rewind: Fragile Sharks blow another late lead to Jackets
- Shot of the Game: Pavelski ties it in third period
- Lakers could stink for years, and not because of Kobe
- Lakers' Nash ruled out for season
- Instant Replay: Sharks blow two leads, fall to Jackets 5-4
- World Series notes: Royals, Giants consider OF changes, etc.
- Strickland 'embarrassed', hopes for another chance
- Lincecum upbeat, 'feels normal' after playing catch
- Seahawks' Wilson blames media for Harvin conjecture
- Bochy applauds Giants rookie Strickland for ownership
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|