Aug 3, 2013, 11:22 PM PDT
Rangers starting pitcher Matt Garza lost a game on national television on Saturday and then apparently proceeded to attack a pregnant woman on Twitter.
The web-based tirade was a continuation of a moment that occurred in the seventh inning, after A’s second baseman Eric Sogard drove in an insurance run with a safety squeeze. Garza seemed to take exception to the fact that A’s players kept bunting against him, and shouted into the A’s dugout.
Later, he took to Twitter. Here are Garza’s tweets attacking Sogard, and his pregnant wife, Kaycee. Hat tip to Lana Berry for screen grabbing his tweets. The account isn’t verified, but has been linked to him both here and here.
Garza tweets from a protected account. The Sogards do not. He appeared to be frustrated by this seemingly innocent tweet from Kaycee Sogard.
The A’s were taking part in a charity bowling event on Saturday night and managed to stay out of the gutter with their responses.
The A’s sit 3 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West and this rivalry is definitely heating up. Before Sunday’s game at the O.Co Coliseum, Garza apologized for his social media outburst. Rangers MLB.com writer T.R. Sullivan posted the apology on his blog.
“All I want to say is I let my competitive spirit cross outside the lines, and that shouldn’t happen. I let my passion, my fire carry over, and that’s not how this game should be played. And for that I apologize to the Sogards for anything that was said through my Twitter. That’s all I have. I regret what happened, and I’m just looking forward to a great game today.”
At least he admitted he was wrong and apologized instead of taking the ever-popular “I was hacked” route.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Throwback Thursday: Tyson banned for biting Holyfield's ears
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- See the A's wives and girlfriends run miles for smiles
- Bay Area Air Quality Advisory Extended Through Friday
- Sharks vs. Sabres live stream: Watch NHL game online on MyTeams
- Water Main Break Prompts Street Closure in Alameda
- 49ers-Rams injury report: CB Jimmie Ward unlikely to play Sunday
- Jazz a revenge game for Jonas Jerebko? 'Don’t really care about them anymore'
- Richard Sherman explains why he's not disappointed teams aren't targeting him
- Marin-native Jared Goff addresses Bay Area-LA rivalry
- 'Amazon Go' Store Approved for SF's Financial District
- Sharks debuting new 3D helmet decal on Stealth Night
- Evaluating A's arbitration in 2018 MLB offseason: Liam Hendriks
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|