Aug 3, 2013, 11:22 PM PDT
Rangers starting pitcher Matt Garza lost a game on national television on Saturday and then apparently proceeded to attack a pregnant woman on Twitter.
The web-based tirade was a continuation of a moment that occurred in the seventh inning, after A’s second baseman Eric Sogard drove in an insurance run with a safety squeeze. Garza seemed to take exception to the fact that A’s players kept bunting against him, and shouted into the A’s dugout.
Later, he took to Twitter. Here are Garza’s tweets attacking Sogard, and his pregnant wife, Kaycee. Hat tip to Lana Berry for screen grabbing his tweets. The account isn’t verified, but has been linked to him both here and here.
Garza tweets from a protected account. The Sogards do not. He appeared to be frustrated by this seemingly innocent tweet from Kaycee Sogard.
The A’s were taking part in a charity bowling event on Saturday night and managed to stay out of the gutter with their responses.
The A’s sit 3 1/2 games ahead of the Rangers in the American League West and this rivalry is definitely heating up. Before Sunday’s game at the O.Co Coliseum, Garza apologized for his social media outburst. Rangers MLB.com writer T.R. Sullivan posted the apology on his blog.
“All I want to say is I let my competitive spirit cross outside the lines, and that shouldn’t happen. I let my passion, my fire carry over, and that’s not how this game should be played. And for that I apologize to the Sogards for anything that was said through my Twitter. That’s all I have. I regret what happened, and I’m just looking forward to a great game today.”
At least he admitted he was wrong and apologized instead of taking the ever-popular “I was hacked” route.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Field of Links: Kap pitches in, Alex Smith tees it up with 49ers, Sharks and Warriors struggling
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Giants' Cain, Panik continue progress in rehab game
- NL West Watch: Dodgers top Padres, up season-high 7.5 games
- Gonzalez, Arenado homer off Heston as Giants' skid hits seven
- Mat Latos, Dodgers already having issues
- Reports: Fred Jackson joins Seahawks' backfield
- 49ers' Hayne has NFL rethinking global recruitment systems
- A's lineup: Vogt scratched late, Ladendorf playing left
- Giants lineup: Crawford back at shortstop, Aoki out again
- Report: Patriots worked out former 49ers DL Okoye
- Top 5 takeaways from 49ers' 14-12 win over Chargers
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|