Aug 6, 2013, 10:18 AM PDT
By now you’re probably all sick of hearing about the Biogenesis suspensions. Like it or not, it was a landmark day in Major League Baseball history. When a story is big enough, it elicits varying reaction across the board. One of the most interesting aspects of the day wasn’t the suspensions themselves, but the way current and former big leaguers reacted to them.
It’s good to see people within the sport speak out against performance-enhancing drug use. The subject often gets swept under the rug.
The strongest take could have come from Comcast SportsNet’s own Mike Krukow. The CSN Giants’ broadcaster commented that Nelson Cruz has “taken a dump” on the Rangers.
Krukow had a bird’s eye view of the Melky Cabrera saga last season in San Francisco and he saw first hand how a suspension from a key player can put a strain on a clubhouse and fan base. The Giants overcame the drama, passed on bringing Cabrera back for the postseason and even won a World Series after the fact. It will be interesting to see how the Rangers handle Cruz when he is eligible to return near the end of the season.
Other baseball players with Bay Area ties also had strong takes. Free agent pitcher, and former Oakland Athletics perfecto-thrower, Dallas Braden, couldn’t resist a chance to taunt Alex Rodriguez on Twitter. They had an infamous feud after the “Stay off my mound!” incident in 2010.
Former A’s pitcher Brad Ziegler — now with the Diamondbacks — was happy that Biogenesis founder Anthony Bosch gave up the guilty players, allowing MLB to suspend them.
Free agent pitcher Dan Meyer took it personally. The former A’s pitcher was released by the Phillies in 2011 after Biogenesis client Antonio Bastardo won the final spot on the roster over him.
It’s clearly not just the fans that feel cheated. These guys have “taken a dump” on all of us.
Field of Links:
— The Giants held a Grateful Dead tribute night at AT&T Park with an NBA great as a special guest.
— Sad News: The Cobra is fighting Parkinson’s disease.
— Yet another example of why you shouldn’t prematurely celebrate. Watch this X-Games motocross rider piss away a guaranteed win, because karma.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Throwback Thursday: Tyson banned for biting Holyfield's ears
- Find out where the 49ers stand in the EA Sports Madden 25 ratings
- The Raider Rusher is very real, will debut Tuesday
- Anthony Dixon's younger brother is a baseball trick shot master
- Midweek Showers to Replace Spring-Like Weather
- Kings learn another harsh lesson, blow massive lead in loss to Nets
- License Plate Readers Urged, Approved in East Bay Locales
- San Francisco May Ban E-Cigarettes Sales Unless FDA-Approved
- UC Berkeley Investigating Former Student's SAT Scores
- Jury: Monsanto Was a Factor in Sonoma County Man's Cancer
- South Bay Community Demands Transparency Under New State Law
- Sharks Clinch Berth in Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Operator of Los Gatos Clinic Charged With Insurance Fraud
- No Charges for SF Giants CEO in Altercation With Wife: DA
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|