Aug 13, 2013, 9:28 AM PDT
Alex Smith’s new red Kansas City Chiefs jersey won’t have the same effects as the trusty red non-contact jersey he used to wear when facing the 49ers defense. For the first time since he was drafted as the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, 49ers defenders will have the opportunity to sack Smith.
“We never got a chance to hit him,” linebacker NoVarro Bowman said with a smirk. “Now we can.”
Even Jim Harbaugh got in on the act, saying that Smith is no longer a trusted agent. The 49ers-Chiefs matchup on Friday will prove to be good theatre for at least a couple of drives as the two most recent quarterbacks to don the red and gold square off.
Vernon Davis used to be Smith’s roommate. Now happily rolling solo, Davis says he is impressed with the new guy under center.
“Now, we get out there and it’s like night and day,” Davis said. “He’s putting balls right there. Man, he’s come a long way. I’m very impressed with Colin right now.”
Davis joked that Kaepernick may have some socks at his place, but his roommate days are officially over.
Speaking of laundry… Oakland Raiders’ first round pick D.J. Hayden can’t wait to shed his non-contact jersey and start mixing it up. The cornerback has been nursing a hamstring injury, but our Raiders Insider reports that Hayden is on track to play the final two preseason games. At this point in the NFL preseason, people are simply hurting to start hitting.
Field of Links:
— The best rundown ever.
— Dufnering is now a thing… (In a non grabby way.)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- California Governor Ends Legislative Session With Vetoes
- Patrick Marleau tears up after warm welcome from Sharks fans in return home
- Is it time to recognize the 49ers as an elite NFL team? Of course it is
- Watch Sharks' Patrick Marleau receive huge ovation in first home game
- Stanford Student Drugged at Campus Party: University Police
- Two Small Earthquakes Strike Southeast of San Jose
- Robert Saleh's fiery personality rubbing off on dominant 49ers defense
- WATCH: Flames vs. Sharks
- 49ers report card: Grades on offense, defense in 20-7 win over Rams
- How 49ers' defense locked in after allowing allowing early TD to Rams
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|