Aug 14, 2013, 3:20 PM PDT
Nothing screams accountability more than a direct message from a coach or teammate with video attached. Both the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers have transitioned to iPad playbooks this season, and the benefits are astounding.
One of the primary perks of ditching the bulky paper playbooks is the direct messaging system. Players can now ask each other questions through instant messages, and if a player is unclear on a specific play, they can get instant assistance.
“I could be anywhere and I could call up some of our video managers,” Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor said. “They can have the stuff sent right to me.”
The ability to break down film instantly from any location with an internet connection goes a long way for a young player like Pryor. Immediate access to advice from team veterans also has an impact.
“They can direct message me and a coach might not see it,” veteran kick returner Josh Cribbs said. “It’s a way that they can save face in front of the coaches. They can ask me for some tips and I can give them to them. It’s all about making our team better, and I think the iPads have assisted.”
It’s easier to ask a question in text form than it is in person, thus preventing an awkward and humbling exchange of advice.
The technology in the iPads also helps keep team secrets safe. If a player loses a paper playbook, no one knows who ends up with that valuable information. With the iPads, the team can just wipe the memory from the device remotely with the push of a button.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
- Melvin on Graveman double play: Best play manager has ever seen by pitcher
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|