Aug 14, 2013, 3:20 PM PDT
Nothing screams accountability more than a direct message from a coach or teammate with video attached. Both the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers have transitioned to iPad playbooks this season, and the benefits are astounding.
One of the primary perks of ditching the bulky paper playbooks is the direct messaging system. Players can now ask each other questions through instant messages, and if a player is unclear on a specific play, they can get instant assistance.
“I could be anywhere and I could call up some of our video managers,” Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor said. “They can have the stuff sent right to me.”
The ability to break down film instantly from any location with an internet connection goes a long way for a young player like Pryor. Immediate access to advice from team veterans also has an impact.
“They can direct message me and a coach might not see it,” veteran kick returner Josh Cribbs said. “It’s a way that they can save face in front of the coaches. They can ask me for some tips and I can give them to them. It’s all about making our team better, and I think the iPads have assisted.”
It’s easier to ask a question in text form than it is in person, thus preventing an awkward and humbling exchange of advice.
The technology in the iPads also helps keep team secrets safe. If a player loses a paper playbook, no one knows who ends up with that valuable information. With the iPads, the team can just wipe the memory from the device remotely with the push of a button.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- With Warriors discussing the matter, Curry reaffirms White House stance
- Giants lineup: Hernandez leads off, Williamson in left to start series vs Dodgers
- $900K Worth of Jewelry Stolen in SF Auto Burglary: Police
- USGS: Magnitude 5.7 Quake Strikes off NorCal Coast
- Lackluster Response to Launch of iPhone 8, Apple Watch 3
- Injury report: CB Sean Smith questionable; Washington TE Reed's status uncertain
- Men 'Directed' Mentally Disabled Juvenile to Rob Women: SJPD
- 3 Men Hurt in San Jose Shooting and Stabbing
- Shanahan: Carradine could be heading to IR
- Milo: Free Speech Week at Berkeley is Not Canceled
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard stopped…|