Aug 14, 2013, 3:20 PM PST
Nothing screams accountability more than a direct message from a coach or teammate with video attached. Both the Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers have transitioned to iPad playbooks this season, and the benefits are astounding.
One of the primary perks of ditching the bulky paper playbooks is the direct messaging system. Players can now ask each other questions through instant messages, and if a player is unclear on a specific play, they can get instant assistance.
“I could be anywhere and I could call up some of our video managers,” Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor said. “They can have the stuff sent right to me.”
The ability to break down film instantly from any location with an internet connection goes a long way for a young player like Pryor. Immediate access to advice from team veterans also has an impact.
“They can direct message me and a coach might not see it,” veteran kick returner Josh Cribbs said. “It’s a way that they can save face in front of the coaches. They can ask me for some tips and I can give them to them. It’s all about making our team better, and I think the iPads have assisted.”
It’s easier to ask a question in text form than it is in person, thus preventing an awkward and humbling exchange of advice.
The technology in the iPads also helps keep team secrets safe. If a player loses a paper playbook, no one knows who ends up with that valuable information. With the iPads, the team can just wipe the memory from the device remotely with the push of a button.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- See the A's wives and girlfriends run miles for smiles
- TBT: Willie Mays announces his retirement
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Warriors-Kings battle for NorCal now comes with very real consequences
- CPUC Accuses PG&E of Falsifying Safety Documents
- How Sharks' defense is making progress, helping produce string of wins
- Raiders must use 2019 NFL draft, free agency to overhaul WR corps
- Stephen Curry lauds De'Aaron Fox's progress, shares what greatness takes
- Raiders wide receiver Martavis Bryant suspended indefinitely by NFL
- Jon Gruden trolls Stephen A. Smith, says Raiders need Tim Brown vs. Bengals
- Sources: Giants interested in Kevin Pillar trade with Blue Jays
- Raiders-Bengals injury report: Kelechi Osemele out, Gabe Jackson questionable
- California Moves to Eliminate Fossil Fuels From Its Bus Fleet
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|