Aug 15, 2013, 12:44 PM PST
On Thursday morning, a TMZ cameraman got more than he bargained for when he asked WWE Superstar Darren Young if openly gay athletes would be welcomed in the WWE. Young, a member of the Prime Time Players tag team, decided the time was right to announce that he is gay.
At that moment, he became the first openly gay professional wrestler.
“Absolutely,” Young said, laughing when asked the question. “Look at me. I’m a WWE Superstar and, to be honest with you, I’ll tell you right now, I’m gay, and I’m happy. Very happy.”
What happened next was an encouraging sign that our society is becoming more accepting of people’s life choices. Young’s co-workers, bosses, and friends began to overwhelmingly support him. It was a moment so real, that it couldn’t possibly have been scripted.
The company’s top talent, WWE Champion John Cena, got in touch with TMZ and shared that his oldest brother is gay. The company’s top dog defending Young was a sign of what was to come.
“For us, it’s entertainment,” Cena told TMZ. “And if you’re entertaining you shouldn’t be judged by race, creed, color or sexuality … as long as you’re entertaining.”
Young’s tag team partner, Titus O’Neil, immediately tweeted his support.
Young’s boss, Triple-H, and several other wrestlers also went public with their support.
Shane Helms’ tweet seems to indicate that Young isn’t the first gay professional wrestler. In the world of professional wrestling, where they will turn anything into a storyline, it appears they will handle this situation respectfully.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Despite loss, Sharks 'in a good spot' headed into bye week
- Trading Cousins is the ultimate Kingstastic move
- REPORT: Kings trade Cousins to New Orleans Pelicans
- Instant Replay: Bruins score in overtime, send Sharks to the break with a loss
- Warriors All-Stars combine for 56 points, West wins
- Ben Lomond Man's Body Plucked from San Lorenzo River
- Source: Kings, Pelicans have discussed possible Cousins trade
- 1-on-1 with Baron Davis: 'We Believe' Warriors vs 2016-17 Warriors
- Rookie Bryan (T-5) covets Masters invitation
- Mudslide in Orinda Threatens Stability of Transmission Tower
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|