Aug 15, 2013, 12:44 PM PDT
On Thursday morning, a TMZ cameraman got more than he bargained for when he asked WWE Superstar Darren Young if openly gay athletes would be welcomed in the WWE. Young, a member of the Prime Time Players tag team, decided the time was right to announce that he is gay.
At that moment, he became the first openly gay professional wrestler.
“Absolutely,” Young said, laughing when asked the question. “Look at me. I’m a WWE Superstar and, to be honest with you, I’ll tell you right now, I’m gay, and I’m happy. Very happy.”
What happened next was an encouraging sign that our society is becoming more accepting of people’s life choices. Young’s co-workers, bosses, and friends began to overwhelmingly support him. It was a moment so real, that it couldn’t possibly have been scripted.
The company’s top talent, WWE Champion John Cena, got in touch with TMZ and shared that his oldest brother is gay. The company’s top dog defending Young was a sign of what was to come.
“For us, it’s entertainment,” Cena told TMZ. “And if you’re entertaining you shouldn’t be judged by race, creed, color or sexuality … as long as you’re entertaining.”
Young’s tag team partner, Titus O’Neil, immediately tweeted his support.
Young’s boss, Triple-H, and several other wrestlers also went public with their support.
Shane Helms’ tweet seems to indicate that Young isn’t the first gay professional wrestler. In the world of professional wrestling, where they will turn anything into a storyline, it appears they will handle this situation respectfully.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Field of Links: Ray Lewis has a check for Ahmad Brooks, Rangers' marketing mistake
- Check out Stephen Curry's 'Voodoo' shoes
- Roy Steele narrates phenomenal 'This is Oakland' video
- Warriors say their showing progress even if the scoreboard says otherwise
- Kings can't sustain intensity for 48 minutes, stumble at home to Knicks
- Jimmy Garoppolo 'really good,' but not elite, analyst Chris Simms says
- Warriors 'tired of losing' after falling to 5-22 on season
- Alec Burks drops 24 points against former team, but Warriors fall to Jazz
- Shot of the Game: Kings' Buddy Hield with an up and under slam
- Shot of the Game: Marquese Chriss follows block with wide-open dunk
- Bogdan Bogdanovic channels MJ, Steph Curry with shrug after 3-pointer
- Kings takeaways: What we learned in tough 103-101 loss to Knicks
- Analyst Chris Simms doesn't believe Jimmy G is elite
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|