Aug 16, 2013, 3:34 PM PDT
The smiles weren’t limited to those in attendance when the A’s wives and girlfriends hopped on a treadmill positioned in the left field BBQ Terrace at the Oakland Coliseum. The ladies weren’t merely showing off their fitness, they were running miles for smiles.
On July 26, the first ladies of the A’s raised $23,400 for Smile Train, a charity organization that helps children that were born with a cleft lip and palate. It costs $250 to fix one child’s smile, and for each mile they ran, a new kid could have the procedure.
The event was spearheaded by Grant Balfour’s wife, Angie, who works as physician’s assistant. Through her medical experience she became involved with the charity. Through events like the one the A’s took part in, Smile Train expects to be able to repair the cleft lips of 125,000 children this year.
Maria Crisp, Milessa Lowrie, Tina Sarnecki (Tommy Milone’s fiance), Kate Thoene (Jarrod Parker’s girlfriend), Lindsay Smith, and Amanda Straily were some of the runners that participated in the event.
Kaycee Sogard couldn’t run on the treadmill because she is pregnant with her and Eric’s first child. Instead, she ran a camera for Field of Teams and documented the event.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- How Rashan Gary became a football player, a brand and soon an NFL draftee
- Giants vs. Nationals lineup: Tyler Austin returns, Buster Posey sits
- Bruce Bochy takes moment to reflect as he visits D.C. for final time
- Sheriff's K-9 Unit Makes Major Drug Bust in Napa County
- Health Officials Confirm Measles Case at Google
- Sheriff's Office Investigates Alamo Jewelry Store Burglary
- Former Grand Canyon Superintendent Returns to San Francisco
- Wie (77) still in pain: 'Some shots are going to hurt'
- Henderson looks to defend, N. Korda makes first trip to Lotte Championship
- Higher Health Standards for Contra Costa County Food Trucks
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|