Aug 16, 2013, 3:34 PM PDT
The smiles weren’t limited to those in attendance when the A’s wives and girlfriends hopped on a treadmill positioned in the left field BBQ Terrace at the Oakland Coliseum. The ladies weren’t merely showing off their fitness, they were running miles for smiles.
On July 26, the first ladies of the A’s raised $23,400 for Smile Train, a charity organization that helps children that were born with a cleft lip and palate. It costs $250 to fix one child’s smile, and for each mile they ran, a new kid could have the procedure.
The event was spearheaded by Grant Balfour’s wife, Angie, who works as physician’s assistant. Through her medical experience she became involved with the charity. Through events like the one the A’s took part in, Smile Train expects to be able to repair the cleft lips of 125,000 children this year.
Maria Crisp, Milessa Lowrie, Tina Sarnecki (Tommy Milone’s fiance), Kate Thoene (Jarrod Parker’s girlfriend), Lindsay Smith, and Amanda Straily were some of the runners that participated in the event.
Kaycee Sogard couldn’t run on the treadmill because she is pregnant with her and Eric’s first child. Instead, she ran a camera for Field of Teams and documented the event.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Latest round of bullpen auditions go poorly in Giants' 50th loss
- Highlights: Giants rookie Ryder Jones shows off his glove in MLB debut
- Is it officially audition time for Giants' young players? Bochy answers
- Bochy: Based on performances, Cueto 'should have a couple (more) wins here'
- Giants Fall to Mets in Cueto-deGrom Battle
- Instant Analysis: Five takeaways from Giants' 50th loss of the season
- San Francisco to Blow Kisses to the World From Pink Triangle
- San Francisco Luminous in Rainbow Colors for Pride 2017
- Does Draymond still care about DPOY after another ring? 'At this point...'
- Draymond explains why he doesn't care about DPOY award anymore
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|