Aug 20, 2013, 9:55 AM PDT
Oakland Athletics fans were left terribly confused after salivating for a sweet treat that would never arrive. On Monday, the A’s did defeat the Seattle Mariners 2-1 in walk-off fashion when Brandon Moss clubbed a home run to centerfield, but the customary pie celebration never occurred.
It has become a Pavlovian response for A’s fans to expect a pie after a walk-off win and the social media world was buzzing with dessert-based frustration.
So what happened? Jarrod Parker happened. The young starter went the distance and earned his ninth win, throwing just 100 pitches in nine innings. Established pitchers don’t get pied. Believe it or not, there’s a certain etiquette to the A’s wild ways. Our own Kate Longworth got the explanation from the usual pie-tosser.
There have been pies thrown in the clubhouse before, but the element of surprise is a must and that is a much more challenging environment. Going forward, Comcast SportsNet may have to choose the post-game interview subject more carefully in a walk-off situation.
There is a precedent for veteran pitchers not getting pied. When Jerry Blevins wiggled out of a ninth-inning jam in Anaheim on September 11, 2012, with a one-run lead, no outs, and runners on the corners, he could be heard shouting “Where’s my pie?” in the clubhouse. It never came.
A’s fans will simply have to settle for a satisfying win in a pennant race and the sweet, sweet, love A’s analyst Shooty Babitt has for this bat.
Time for some links!
Field of Links:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Tottenham Hotspur hiring José Mourinho is no match made in heaven
- Bumping is Back: More Passengers Booted from Flights
- Stabbing on BART Train Shuts Down South Hayward Station
- City Settles Civil Rights Suit Filed by Palo Alto Man
- PG&E to Shut Off Power in 18 Counties, Three in Bay Area
- Kings' accumulated depth paying dividends as team creeps back to .500
- Bogdan Bogdanovic catches fire as Kings stay hot, finish off win over Suns
- List: School Closures Due to PG&E Power Shutoffs
- Warriors' hard work finally 'rewarded' with skid-busting win in Memphis
- Shot of the Game: Bogdan Bogdanovic drains 3-pointer for new scoring high
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|