Aug 20, 2013, 9:55 AM PDT
Oakland Athletics fans were left terribly confused after salivating for a sweet treat that would never arrive. On Monday, the A’s did defeat the Seattle Mariners 2-1 in walk-off fashion when Brandon Moss clubbed a home run to centerfield, but the customary pie celebration never occurred.
It has become a Pavlovian response for A’s fans to expect a pie after a walk-off win and the social media world was buzzing with dessert-based frustration.
So what happened? Jarrod Parker happened. The young starter went the distance and earned his ninth win, throwing just 100 pitches in nine innings. Established pitchers don’t get pied. Believe it or not, there’s a certain etiquette to the A’s wild ways. Our own Kate Longworth got the explanation from the usual pie-tosser.
There have been pies thrown in the clubhouse before, but the element of surprise is a must and that is a much more challenging environment. Going forward, Comcast SportsNet may have to choose the post-game interview subject more carefully in a walk-off situation.
There is a precedent for veteran pitchers not getting pied. When Jerry Blevins wiggled out of a ninth-inning jam in Anaheim on September 11, 2012, with a one-run lead, no outs, and runners on the corners, he could be heard shouting “Where’s my pie?” in the clubhouse. It never came.
A’s fans will simply have to settle for a satisfying win in a pennant race and the sweet, sweet, love A’s analyst Shooty Babitt has for this bat.
Time for some links!
Field of Links:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- With Warriors discussing the matter, Curry reaffirms White House stance
- Giants lineup: Hernandez leads off, Williamson in left to start series vs Dodgers
- $900K Worth of Jewelry Stolen in SF Auto Burglary: Police
- USGS: Magnitude 5.7 Quake Strikes off NorCal Coast
- Lackluster Response to Launch of iPhone 8, Apple Watch 3
- Injury report: CB Sean Smith questionable; Washington TE Reed's status uncertain
- Men 'Directed' Mentally Disabled Juvenile to Rob Women: SJPD
- 3 Men Hurt in San Jose Shooting and Stabbing
- Shanahan: Carradine could be heading to IR
- Milo: Free Speech Week at Berkeley is Not Canceled
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard stopped…|