Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM PDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns discovered a scary looking animal skull on the golf course on Sunday. Field of Teams referenced the discovery, but at the time, no one was able to identify exactly what type of animal it belonged to.
We took the liberty to send the picture to some wildlife experts at ProjectNoah.org, a community of animal osteologists. It was determined that Burns found the lower jaw of a groundhog — a rodent in the family, Sciuridae.
Here’s the original tweet from Burns.
On Monday, Burns was still trying to figure out exactly what type of bone he discovered. He told our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz that he believed it belonged to a baby warthog.
One of Burns’ 67,000 followers was clearly on the right track with his response to Burns.
It’s a shame that Burns didn’t find something only identifiable by an archaeologist. It might have made a cool gift for Joe Thornton. Remember when the Sharks gave their captain a 10,000-year-old wooly mammoth tusk worth an estimated five figures to celebrate his 1,000th career game? Now you do.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Trapped Cat Rescued From Golden Gate Bridge Median Barrier
- Latest round of bullpen auditions go poorly in Giants' 50th loss
- Highlights: Giants rookie Ryder Jones shows off his glove in MLB debut
- Is it officially audition time for Giants' young players? Bochy answers
- Bochy: Based on performances, Cueto 'should have a couple (more) wins here'
- Giants Fall to Mets in Cueto-deGrom Battle
- Instant Analysis: Five takeaways from Giants' 50th loss of the season
- San Francisco to Blow Kisses to the World From Pink Triangle
- San Francisco Luminous in Rainbow Colors for Pride 2017
- Does Draymond still care about DPOY after another ring? 'At this point...'
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|