Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM PDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns discovered a scary looking animal skull on the golf course on Sunday. Field of Teams referenced the discovery, but at the time, no one was able to identify exactly what type of animal it belonged to.
We took the liberty to send the picture to some wildlife experts at ProjectNoah.org, a community of animal osteologists. It was determined that Burns found the lower jaw of a groundhog — a rodent in the family, Sciuridae.
Here’s the original tweet from Burns.
On Monday, Burns was still trying to figure out exactly what type of bone he discovered. He told our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz that he believed it belonged to a baby warthog.
One of Burns’ 67,000 followers was clearly on the right track with his response to Burns.
It’s a shame that Burns didn’t find something only identifiable by an archaeologist. It might have made a cool gift for Joe Thornton. Remember when the Sharks gave their captain a 10,000-year-old wooly mammoth tusk worth an estimated five figures to celebrate his 1,000th career game? Now you do.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Stephen Curry's palatial Oakland penthouse is for sale
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Throwback Thursday: The 2002 All-Star Game tie debacle
- Family Upset, Camp Apologizes After Boy Walks Away Unnoticed
- Santa Rosa Woman Arrested on Theft and Fraud Charges--Again
- New Details in PG&E Bankruptcy Bonus Battle
- 75 Yrs Later: Survivor's Story of Deadly Port Chicago Blast
- Berkeley to Remove All Gendered Words From City Code
- Repairs on Richmond-San Rafael Bridge Nearly Finished
- Homer Bailey impresses new teammates, bests Mariners in A's debut
- Sharks prospects to watch: Why Ryan Merkley still has time to develop
- Giants' Mike Yastrzemski gets hot in Denver after nearly being demoted
- Raiders' Jon Gruden ranked as 15th-best veteran head coach by NFL.com
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|