Aug 20, 2013, 10:55 AM PDT
San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns discovered a scary looking animal skull on the golf course on Sunday. Field of Teams referenced the discovery, but at the time, no one was able to identify exactly what type of animal it belonged to.
We took the liberty to send the picture to some wildlife experts at ProjectNoah.org, a community of animal osteologists. It was determined that Burns found the lower jaw of a groundhog — a rodent in the family, Sciuridae.
Here’s the original tweet from Burns.
On Monday, Burns was still trying to figure out exactly what type of bone he discovered. He told our Sharks Insider Kevin Kurz that he believed it belonged to a baby warthog.
One of Burns’ 67,000 followers was clearly on the right track with his response to Burns.
It’s a shame that Burns didn’t find something only identifiable by an archaeologist. It might have made a cool gift for Joe Thornton. Remember when the Sharks gave their captain a 10,000-year-old wooly mammoth tusk worth an estimated five figures to celebrate his 1,000th career game? Now you do.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
- Melvin on Graveman double play: Best play manager has ever seen by pitcher
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|