Aug 21, 2013, 3:42 PM PST
Returning to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1959 is the obvious priority of California Golden Bears head football coach Sonny Dykes.
The path to achieving that goal starts off the field and behind the scenes.
“A big part of my job,” he says, is “to educate our players not only on how to play football but also how to get their degree, and how to handle themselves in a manner that everybody can be proud of off the field.”
To achieve his goals, the new head coach has moved close to campus. It allows the opportunity to spend time with his family for a few key hours each day, while taking care of his work on campus. Former Golden Bears head coach Jeff Tedford lived in Danville, about 30 minutes from UC Berkeley — not that it matters at this point.
Dykes recently gave UC Berkeley Campus Life a unique tour of his day-to-day grind as he builds his program. The video takes viewers behind the scenes in his home, in his car, in his office, and on the practice field. It’s only four minutes, but it’s as close to Hard Knocks with the California Bears as you’re going to get.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Man Faces Murder Charge in Crash That Killed 4-Year-Old Girl
- Struggling SF Kink Cafe Turns to Crowdsourcing to Stay Open
- East Bay Mom Takes Holistic Approach to Fighting Off Flu
- Jack Cooley gets an All-Star vote
- San Jose Land Slated For High Rise is Contaminated: Lawsuit
- Sharks Unable to Cap Off Comeback Against MacKinnon, Avs
- Former Cal Women's Hoops Star Files Sexual Assault Lawsuit
- SF Won't Veer From Protecting Sanctuary City Policies: Mayor
- Sharks can't cap off comeback against MacKinnon, streaking Avalanche
- Flu Virus Can Be Spread Just From Breathing: New Study
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|