Aug 21, 2013, 3:42 PM PDT
Returning to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1959 is the obvious priority of California Golden Bears head football coach Sonny Dykes.
The path to achieving that goal starts off the field and behind the scenes.
“A big part of my job,” he says, is “to educate our players not only on how to play football but also how to get their degree, and how to handle themselves in a manner that everybody can be proud of off the field.”
To achieve his goals, the new head coach has moved close to campus. It allows the opportunity to spend time with his family for a few key hours each day, while taking care of his work on campus. Former Golden Bears head coach Jeff Tedford lived in Danville, about 30 minutes from UC Berkeley — not that it matters at this point.
Dykes recently gave UC Berkeley Campus Life a unique tour of his day-to-day grind as he builds his program. The video takes viewers behind the scenes in his home, in his car, in his office, and on the practice field. It’s only four minutes, but it’s as close to Hard Knocks with the California Bears as you’re going to get.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- George Kittle returns to practice, expected to play vs. Washington
- CCSF Campus Evacuated Due to Reported Bomb Threat: Police
- Dogs Shot While Deputies Patrol Castro Valley Homeless Camp
- Raiders' Paul Guenther calls Vontaze Burfict suspension 'witch hunt'
- NFL trade deadline: Position-by-position look at 49ers' plan of attack
- Andre Iguodala discusses his NBA future, won't be like Vince Carter
- Richard Sherman says Jalen Ramsey has all leverage after Rams' trade
- Five observations from Warriors' 33-point preseason loss to Lakers
- Why George Kittle, Joe Staley spoke in Canadian accents in viral video
- Loma Prieta: Looking Back on the Earthquake 30 Years Later
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|