Aug 21, 2013, 4:10 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics had trouble teaching Grant Green how to play capable defense. They moved him from shortstop, to the outfield, to third base and finally to second base. With all the important stuff they were trying to teach Green, they apparently forgot to teach the first round pick in the 2009 draft how to bunt before trading him to the Angels for Alberto Callaspo.
“Oakland never bunted, Green is learning how to bunt,” Scioscia said, clarifying “both” when asked if he meant the A’s never asked Green to bunt or never even taught him how to bunt.
The Angels’ skipper tends to take issue with a lot of minor details, especially when managing a game. Maybe he should worry less about how the A’s handle their business, and more about why his $137,271,250 roster is currently 55-70 and in fourth place.
Hardball Talk also took the time to look up Green’s stats. They prove that Scoscia isn’t correct.
They keep track of sacrifice bunts and Green had 12 of them in the minors, including three this season, which is a lot for a guy who hit well enough (.306 with an .822 OPS for his minor-league career) that bunting was rarely the preferred option. By comparison, Erick Aybar leads the Angels with five sacrifice bunts this season.
It looks like Green can bunt after all. Perhaps he wasn’t taught to the Angels specifications. Green has failed on more than one occasion to lay down a bunt since joining the Angels. He is, however, hitting .304 (14 for 46) with his new team.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- List Names 263 Catholic Clergy Accused of Sexual Misconduct
- Giants Review: Garcia flashes power, opens eyes in first big league month
- About 15,000 Strike at University of California Hospitals
- Fla. Man Accused of In-Flight Groping: Trump 'Says It’s Ok'
- Warriors Outsiders Podcast: Curry scores 29, Dubs smack the Suns
- Cowboys coach Jason Garrett: Amari Cooper has a 'bright future'
- Sharks out for revenge in rematch vs. young Predators goalie Juuse Saros
- Free agents Jed Lowrie, Jonathan Lucroy projected to earn different salaries
- Netflix to Borrow Another $2B to Pay Its Programming Bills
- Home in San Francisco Listed For Record $45 Million
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|