Aug 21, 2013, 4:10 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics had trouble teaching Grant Green how to play capable defense. They moved him from shortstop, to the outfield, to third base and finally to second base. With all the important stuff they were trying to teach Green, they apparently forgot to teach the first round pick in the 2009 draft how to bunt before trading him to the Angels for Alberto Callaspo.
“Oakland never bunted, Green is learning how to bunt,” Scioscia said, clarifying “both” when asked if he meant the A’s never asked Green to bunt or never even taught him how to bunt.
The Angels’ skipper tends to take issue with a lot of minor details, especially when managing a game. Maybe he should worry less about how the A’s handle their business, and more about why his $137,271,250 roster is currently 55-70 and in fourth place.
Hardball Talk also took the time to look up Green’s stats. They prove that Scoscia isn’t correct.
They keep track of sacrifice bunts and Green had 12 of them in the minors, including three this season, which is a lot for a guy who hit well enough (.306 with an .822 OPS for his minor-league career) that bunting was rarely the preferred option. By comparison, Erick Aybar leads the Angels with five sacrifice bunts this season.
It looks like Green can bunt after all. Perhaps he wasn’t taught to the Angels specifications. Green has failed on more than one occasion to lay down a bunt since joining the Angels. He is, however, hitting .304 (14 for 46) with his new team.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Texans head coach declares Watt out for the season
- LeBron sends Cavs message on J.R. Smith: 'Get it done'
- Kings prepare to open state-of-the-art downtown arena
- A's lineup: Wendle returns, batting leadoff vs Mariners
- Giants lineup: Hernandez leading off, Beckham debuts at 3B
- Staley: No divide in 49ers locker room with Kap's protest
- 49ers' Harold fined for horse collar tackle of Wilson
- Reds manager angry over 'ridiculous' end of Cardinals win
- Cowboys' Bryant questionable; 49ers' Ward out
- Dell expected to play duration of Sharks' game vs Coyotes
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|