Aug 21, 2013, 4:10 PM PST
The Oakland Athletics had trouble teaching Grant Green how to play capable defense. They moved him from shortstop, to the outfield, to third base and finally to second base. With all the important stuff they were trying to teach Green, they apparently forgot to teach the first round pick in the 2009 draft how to bunt before trading him to the Angels for Alberto Callaspo.
“Oakland never bunted, Green is learning how to bunt,” Scioscia said, clarifying “both” when asked if he meant the A’s never asked Green to bunt or never even taught him how to bunt.
The Angels’ skipper tends to take issue with a lot of minor details, especially when managing a game. Maybe he should worry less about how the A’s handle their business, and more about why his $137,271,250 roster is currently 55-70 and in fourth place.
Hardball Talk also took the time to look up Green’s stats. They prove that Scoscia isn’t correct.
They keep track of sacrifice bunts and Green had 12 of them in the minors, including three this season, which is a lot for a guy who hit well enough (.306 with an .822 OPS for his minor-league career) that bunting was rarely the preferred option. By comparison, Erick Aybar leads the Angels with five sacrifice bunts this season.
It looks like Green can bunt after all. Perhaps he wasn’t taught to the Angels specifications. Green has failed on more than one occasion to lay down a bunt since joining the Angels. He is, however, hitting .304 (14 for 46) with his new team.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Snap count: 49ers favor three-WR formations over two backs
- York must decide what kind of owner he wants to be
- Injury report: Crabtree returns from ribs, knee ailments
- 49ers Week 13 loss to Seahawks: Three positives
- Lowe relishes NHL experience as Sharks backup
- HOF Isiah Thomas: Curry 'best point guard in NBA'
- Baalke's daughter on Roman: '49ers don't want you no more'
- Seahawks 19, 49ers 3: Next move belongs to York
- SJSU falls 78-56 to Washington at Wooden Legacy tournament
- Harbaugh has no reaction to York's public apology
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|