Aug 22, 2013, 10:22 AM PDT
The San Francisco 49ers used to have Joe Montana starting and Steve Young on the bench. Two NFL Hall of Famers on the same team. It’s pretty hard to top that right?
Well, ESPN’s Ron Jaworski thinks the 49ers could top that with Colin Kaepernick. The veteran quarterback believes that Kaepernick has the potential to be the greatest quarterback of all time. Hat tip to Sports Illustrated’s Audibles for pulling the quote.
“I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever,” Jaworski said Wednesday on ESPN. “I love his skill set. I think the sky’s the limit.”
Kap has a pretty crazy skill set. He has a laser-rocket arm, the speed of a gazelle, and the size of a tight end, but could he really be the best ever?
Our own 49ers Insider Matt Maiocco had a tough time simply dismissing the notion that Kap could become one of the all-time greats in his recent mailbag.
“In fact, you might be hard-pressed to find a quarterback in NFL history who has the combination of size, speed, strength and arm talent of Kaepernick,” Maiocco wrote.
To put the question under further scrutiny, Comcast SportsNet gathered some of the most cynical people around, the Bay Area’s media members, and asked them the same question during Yahoo! Sports Talk Live.
The 49ers’ signal caller exceeded expectation last season, and word around camp is that he is even better now. The real test will come when his body of work can be evaluated over the course of an entire season. Defenses will surely be keen to all of his tactics heading into this year.
If you’d like to offer your opinion on the topic, there’s an interesting discussion taking place right now over at CSNBayArea.com.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Caltrain's Rail Grinding Project to Reduce Noise
- Woman Whose Wedding Ring Was Stolen in SF Just Wants It Back
- SJ Flood Victims to Face off Against Politicians at Meeting
- Two Iron Workers Injured at Facebook Construction Site
- Judge Drops Most Charges Against Suspect Shot by SF Officers
- Ann Coulter, UC Berkeley Clash Over Canceled Visit
- Manaea felt 'little sharp pain', but status of shoulder not immediately known
- Morse, Arroyo stun Dodgers, lift Giants to thrilling comeback win
- High School Fight in East Bay Leaves One Girl Seriously Hurt
- Did Giants rookie Arroyo even know he hit first career homer off the bat?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|