Aug 23, 2013, 3:29 PM PDT
It’s hard to believe that Stockton Ports shortstop Addison Russell is only 19 years old when watching him on the baseball diamond. Russell, the A’s first round pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft, is composed and confident. He looks like he was born to play baseball. He has broad shoulders and a slender frame, a sweet swing, and a slick glove.
The Oakland Athletics thought so highly of the kid that they invited him to Spring Training with the big league club this year. In six games this spring against MLB-caliber competition, he hit .250 and drove in two runs.
Seeing as how Russell has proven to be unflappable in the face of intense pressure, Field Of Teams solicited questions from A’s fans on Twitter and asked the A’s top prospect to answer all of the questions on camera. Knowing things could get weird, he still obliged.
In his first full season with the Ports, Russell got off to a slow start but has turned it around. He is hitting .318 since the All-Star Break with nine home runs, 29 RBI, and 25 walks. The six-foot-tall, 190-pound native of Pace, Florida, is hitting a respectable .279 with 16 homers and 57 RBI this season in Stockton.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Gilroy Teen Has 'Eye-Opening' Audition for NBC's 'The Voice'
- Man Arrested After Posing as Nurse at SF Medical Clinic: DA
- East Palo Alto Man Accused of Running Illegal Cockfights
- Cost of Living, Traffic Driving Millennials Out of Bay Area
- Arrest Made in SF Triple Shooting That Killed Woman
- Chip Kelly: 'Zero distraction' from Colin Kaepernick last season
- VTA Train Strikes, Kills Pedestrian in Campbell
- One Person Burned in Redwood City Elementary School Fire
- Twitter Eases 140-Character Limit in Replies
- When asked about facing Kings for first time, Cousins plays possum
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|