Aug 23, 2013, 3:29 PM PDT
It’s hard to believe that Stockton Ports shortstop Addison Russell is only 19 years old when watching him on the baseball diamond. Russell, the A’s first round pick in the 2012 First-Year Player Draft, is composed and confident. He looks like he was born to play baseball. He has broad shoulders and a slender frame, a sweet swing, and a slick glove.
The Oakland Athletics thought so highly of the kid that they invited him to Spring Training with the big league club this year. In six games this spring against MLB-caliber competition, he hit .250 and drove in two runs.
Seeing as how Russell has proven to be unflappable in the face of intense pressure, Field Of Teams solicited questions from A’s fans on Twitter and asked the A’s top prospect to answer all of the questions on camera. Knowing things could get weird, he still obliged.
In his first full season with the Ports, Russell got off to a slow start but has turned it around. He is hitting .318 since the All-Star Break with nine home runs, 29 RBI, and 25 walks. The six-foot-tall, 190-pound native of Pace, Florida, is hitting a respectable .279 with 16 homers and 57 RBI this season in Stockton.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Shot of the Game: Couture scores on close-range wrister
- Sharks endure high-scoring road contest, top Red Wings
- Earthquakes sign goalkeeper Tomas Gomez
- A's-Giants lineups: Davis, Belt set to DH
- 49ers waive tackle Jonathan Martin
- NFL Draft Profile: UCLA QB Brett Hundley
- Sharks add two prospects, assign them to Worcester
- Matt Maiocco's 49ers chat transcript (3.26.15)
- Tomsula: Head coach should be enabler, not meddler
- Five suggestions for Sharks as their season winds down
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|