Aug 27, 2013, 10:18 AM PST
Carrie Underwood’s name will once again be associated with football and thankfully it has nothing to do with dating Tony Romo. Underwood is replacing Faith Hill as the singer of NBC’s Sunday Night Football song. Nothing against Hill, but Underwood is an upgrade for obvious reasons.
The open will feature the same song, “Waiting All Day for Sunday Night” which is set to the original Joan Jett song, “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” The first version of the song was performed by Pink. It just keeps getting better.
Thirteen NFL stars were selected to star alongside Underwood. San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis is one of them. Willis joins a group of 13 NFL players, who have accounted for 55 Pro Bowl selections, six Super Bowl rings and four Super Bowl MVP trophies, that will be featured in the open.
- Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald
- New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham
- Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson
- Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck
- New York Giants QB Eli Manning
- Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning
- Green Bay Packers LB Clay Matthews
- Philadelphia Eagles RB LeSean McCoy
- Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers
- Baltimore Ravens LB Terrell Suggs
- Dallas Cowboys DE DeMarcus Ware
- Houston Texans DE J.J. Watt
- San Francisco 49ers LB Patrick Willis
Sunday Night football is the highest rated primetime program on television over the past two years. The opening song for the game is actually about more than eye candy. Last season, SNF was actually the No. 2 show among Women 18-34, and Women 18-49 based on Nielsen data.
49ers SNF appearances: (No Raiders game scheduled)
9/15 – 49ers at Seahawks
10/6 – Texans at 49ers
Before Underwood was selected (not really) some of NBC’s television stars auditioned to sing the Sunday Night Football theme. It didn’t go so well. Where’s Jim Kozimor when you need him?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- The Raider Rusher is very real, will debut Tuesday
- The Hidden Relics of Candlestick Park
- Field of Links: Curry's popularity continues to rise, a Kuiper-wich, and a Superman double backflip
- Police Arrest Man After Car Chase at Caldecott Tunnel
- Nearly 3,000 Oakland Teachers Will Strike Thursday
- Marin County Declares Local Emergency Over Hwy 37 Flood
- MLB rumors: Bryce Harper ‘could be rounding third’ on Phillies contract
- Sharks weren't perfect, but still happy to grind out win vs. Canucks
- Sharks fend off pesky Canucks for seventh win in last eight games
- Shot of the Game: Joe Pavelski clinches Sharks' win over Canucks
- 2019 NBA All-Star Game: Ranking every player from 27 to LeBron James
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in Erik Karlsson's return in win vs. Canucks
- Sharks' Erik Karlsson picks up assist in first game back from groin injury
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|