Aug 27, 2013, 10:18 AM PDT
Carrie Underwood’s name will once again be associated with football and thankfully it has nothing to do with dating Tony Romo. Underwood is replacing Faith Hill as the singer of NBC’s Sunday Night Football song. Nothing against Hill, but Underwood is an upgrade for obvious reasons.
The open will feature the same song, “Waiting All Day for Sunday Night” which is set to the original Joan Jett song, “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” The first version of the song was performed by Pink. It just keeps getting better.
Thirteen NFL stars were selected to star alongside Underwood. San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis is one of them. Willis joins a group of 13 NFL players, who have accounted for 55 Pro Bowl selections, six Super Bowl rings and four Super Bowl MVP trophies, that will be featured in the open.
- Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald
- New Orleans TE Jimmy Graham
- Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson
- Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck
- New York Giants QB Eli Manning
- Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning
- Green Bay Packers LB Clay Matthews
- Philadelphia Eagles RB LeSean McCoy
- Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers
- Baltimore Ravens LB Terrell Suggs
- Dallas Cowboys DE DeMarcus Ware
- Houston Texans DE J.J. Watt
- San Francisco 49ers LB Patrick Willis
Sunday Night football is the highest rated primetime program on television over the past two years. The opening song for the game is actually about more than eye candy. Last season, SNF was actually the No. 2 show among Women 18-34, and Women 18-49 based on Nielsen data.
49ers SNF appearances: (No Raiders game scheduled)
9/15 – 49ers at Seahawks
10/6 – Texans at 49ers
Before Underwood was selected (not really) some of NBC’s television stars auditioned to sing the Sunday Night Football theme. It didn’t go so well. Where’s Jim Kozimor when you need him?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A case of the Mondays: Flying clotheslines, raccoons and funny faces. Football is back!
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Get to know Tim Hudson: Career timeline
- Mitch Richmond is having trouble selling his mansion
- CA Trump Supporters Celebrate Payoff of Fundraising Efforts
- What Sharks like about way they are playing despite loss to Sabres
- Sharks' three-game winning streak ends with tough 4-3 loss to Sabres
- Shot of the Game: Sharks' Marcus Sorensen redirects tying goal vs. Sabres
- Sharks takeaways: What we learned in streak-snapping 4-3 loss to Sabres
- Marcus Sorensen's second goal of season ties game with Sabres, 3-3
- Sabres' goal vs. Sharks waved off, then deemed good by replay review
- Sharks icon Arturs Irbe reflects on his journey to NHL
- Video Shows Coach Stop Possible School Shooting With Hug
- Watch ex-49ers assistant Keanon Lowe disarm gunman at Portland school
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|