Aug 28, 2013, 3:13 PM PDT
Oakland Raiders cornerback Taiwan Jones is $200 richer. All he had to do was jump over an automobile for the cash. Jones was out to dinner with teammates on Tuesday, and a car jumping challenge was issued. The vehicle was not moving, and Jones easily cleared it.
Check out the Instagram video posted by teammate Tyvon Branch.
For Jones, that’s an easy $200. Don’t get me wrong, clearing the car is an impressive feat, but he did it from the sidewalk. That’s at least a six-inch boost. That’s not the first unreal display of the Raiders cornerback’s hops. He also jumped out of a pool backwards while standing in 3-foot-deep water.
So where does Jones’ leap land when compared to some other notable athlete jumps?
You be the judge:
Oakland Athletics catcher Kurt Suzuki has also conquered the pool jump. He lacks the style points for doing it backwards, though.
It’s hard to top Lynn Swann jumping over a car on the football field in a real game in 1979. Unfortunately, he didn’t stick the landing. What were those cars doing there anyways?
Royals outfielder Joey Gathright gained some YouTube fame by jumping over a Mitsubishi Galant from flat ground several years ago. This one is actually cooler than Jones’ car jump. There’s a debate about whether or not he used a trampoline. So, it lands a bit lower on this list.
Gathright’s hops can’t be questioned, though. One time he leaped over a pitcher in a spring training game.
In 2008, Kobe Bryant did a fake jump over an Aston Martin in a shoe commercial. This is lame.
This might be lamer. In the 2011 NBA Slam Dunk Contest, Blake Griffin dunked over the hood of a Kia with Baron Davis in the driver’s seat. Jump over the roof and then we’ll talk, Blake.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Stabbing on BART Train Shuts Down South Hayward Station
- City Settles Civil Rights Suit Filed by Palo Alto Man
- PG&E to Shut Off Power in 18 Counties, Three in Bay Area
- Kings' accumulated depth paying dividends as team creeps back to .500
- Bogdan Bogdanovic catches fire as Kings stay hot, finish off win over Suns
- List: School Closures Due to PG&E Power Shutoffs
- Bumping is Back: More Passengers Booted from Flights
- Warriors' hard work finally 'rewarded' with skid-busting win in Memphis
- Shot of the Game: Bogdan Bogdanovic drains 3-pointer for new scoring high
- Sharks' 6-Game Win Streak Snapped by Oilers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|