Aug 29, 2013, 12:29 PM PDT
On this day in 1965, Willie Mays hit his 17th home run of the month. At the time, it was a National League record for the month of August. Sammy Sosa eventually hit 17 homers in August of 2001, to equal Mays’ mark.
Mays’ August achievement remains one of the hottest stretches in San Francisco Giants history. To put it into context, the entire roster of the 2013 Giants have combined to hit 13 home runs this month. Mays also hit .363, drove in 29 runs and scored 32 times.
The Hall of Famer ended up with a career-high 52 home runs that season. On Sep. 13, 1965, Mays would end up hitting his 500th career home run.
In 2001, Barry Bonds hit 17 home runs in the month of May. He currently holds the record for the most home runs hit in a single month by a National League left-handed hitter.
The Major League Baseball record for home runs in a single month is 20, set by Sosa in June of 1998. That was the year Mark McGwire and Sosa engaged in an internationally-captivating and PED-driven home run chase. McGwire ended up with 70 home runs and Sosa ended up with 66. Both of the larger-than-life sluggers broke Roger Maris’ long-standing record of 61 home runs in a single season that year.
Three years later, Bonds would hit 73 home runs to take the crown. Based on the cloud of suspicion surrounding all of those inflated stats, it makes what Mays did in 1965, and what Maris did in 1961 more impressive.
Mays hit 660 home runs in his career, ranking him fourth on MLB’s all-time list. He may soon be bumped to fifth place, with another PED user, Alex Rodriguez, 10 home runs away from tying him.
All-Time MLB Home Run Leaders:
1. Barry Bonds – 762
2. Hank Aaron – 755
3. Babe Ruth – 714
4. Willie Mays – 660
5. Alex Rodriguez – 651
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Player Focused on Recovery, Future
- Ex-Shark Nabby in the Playoffs ... Guiding Barracuda Goalies
- Ratto Stories: Remembering Manchester bombing victims and future of sports
- Williamson stuns Davis in ninth, but earlier mistakes haunt Giants
- FedEx Driver Arrested in Connection With 3 Home Burglaries
- Cal Professor Accused of Sexual Harassment Dismissed
- Moore breaks down outing after going six-plus vs Cubs in fifth loss
- Oakland Boy, 9, Shot While Walking Dog on His Birthday
- Bochy calls out ump for game-ending strike three call in Giants' loss
- Big Sur Inn Offers Helicopter Package to Tour Landslide
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|