Field of Links: The Bay Bridge Troll is safe, but distance between Oak and SF feels farther than ever
Aug 30, 2013, 7:12 AM PST
Sometimes sports have to take a back seat to more important news items of the day. And what’s more important than the safety of the Bay Bridge Troll? With the Eastern span of the bridge closed and set for demolition, there was a lot of concern over what would happen to the bridge’s official guardian.
The small wrench-wielding metal sculpture that is welded to the bridge is reportedly going to live on. Cal Trans told ABC 7 News that the troll will have a home on the new bridge.
The Bay Bridge Troll is the creation of East Bay metalworker, Michael Bondi, who tells the story of the iron sculpture on the Save the Bay Bridge Troll Facebook page. He created the troll with a little help from his friends to help protect the Bay Bridge after a section collapsed in the 1989 earthquake.
The Bay Bridge is scheduled to open early Tuesday morning, but even a shiny new and improved span can’t bridge the distance between Oakland and San Francisco’s football teams.
The 49ers finished the preseason by clobbering the Chargers 41-6. They have tough, but good, decisions to make as they trim their roster down to 53 men. The Raiders lost to the Seahawks 22-6, and still appear to have much larger decisions to make.
The same gap can be found between the Bay Area’s baseball teams. While the Giants will use the remainder of the season to evaluate their future, A’s fans were actually livid after winning 3 of 4 from the Tigers — in Detroit. Granted, the A’s could have swept the four-game series if it wasn’t for a blown save, but it’s important to keep things in perspective.
After the tough walk-off defeat Thursday morning, A’s right fielder Josh Reddick decided to have a little fun to cheer the fans up. He left autographed baseball cards all over Walnut Creek and tweeted clues as to where they could be found. The scavenger hunt had people running all over the city.
It was an awesome gesture from one of the most engaging and entertaining athletes in Bay Area sports. He is currently on the disabled list with a reoccurring wrist injury.
Time to scavenge for some links.
Field of Links:
— Call it the “Kap Slap.”
— This foul ball moment at a Red Sox game needs to live forever. It should be in an art gallery somewhere right next to dogs playing poker. That one is in The Louvre right? Seriously, click the link and take it all in.
— Bad communication theatre: RG3 tweets that he’s ready to play. Redskins choose not to confirm
— The New York Post thinks North and South Carolina are in-state rivals (Hint: They’re not)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Stephen Curry's palatial Oakland penthouse is for sale
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Kings trio puts on a show at 2019 NBA Rising Stars Challenge in Charlotte
- Records Challenge Nebraska's Account of Washington Case
- Why Colin Kaepernick's NFL settlement doesn't mean he'll rejoin league
- 75-Year-Old Woman Miraculously Survives Sausalito Landslide
- Klay Thompson volunteers his time to kick off All-Star Weekend in Charlotte
- Get primed for the NBA 3-point shooting contest featuring Curry vs. Curry
- UPS Driver Praised for Purposely Driving Slow During Pursuit
- Bat Found at Southland Mall Tests Positive for Rabies
- Oakland Teachers May Strike Next Week
- Steph Curry sits down for exclusive interview from NBA All-Star Weekend
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|