Aug 30, 2013, 5:22 PM PDT
Even Cy Young Award-winners have to commute like us.
Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher David Price learned the hard way what happens when the Bay Bridge isn’t open. Price decided he didn’t want to take BART to the Oakland Coliseum for Friday’s start against Jarrod Parker, and he documented his misadventures on Twitter.
Rather than braving a $3.85, 20-minute BART ride straight to the Coliseum. Price was stuck in a taxi and paid over $200 for an hour-plus ride.
Rays beat writer Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times did an excellent job fanning the flames. Kudos to you, sir.
Oakland Athletics pitcher (and fellow Vanderbilt alum) Sonny Gray couldn’t help but to pile on.
When teams visit the Oakland Coliseum they stay in downtown San Francisco. When guys miss the bus or there’s an accident on the Bay Bridge, it can lead to some inconvenient situations. Something similar happened to the Angels earlier this season.
Price is 8-5 with a 3.28 ERA this season. Pitchers are creatures of habit, and he’ll have to hope his time in traffic didn’t throw off his routine when he takes the mound.
According to Topkin, the Rays players that took the team bus didn’t fair much better. They just left earlier.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- WATCH: Warriors Pregame Live
- South Bay Students Use Tech To Study Religious Diversity
- Relocation approval 'offers more clarity' when Raiders recruit future free agents
- Warriors to update Durant's status on Wednesday
- Fire Scorches 420-Plus Tons of Hay at Fresno Ranch
- 49ers GM Lynch speaks with Harbaugh about Michigan prospects
- NFL centralizes replay reviews, Del Rio wants more freedom in challenges
- Student Filmmakers Get a Shot in Sonoma Int'l Film Fest
- Pursuit Ends in Multi-Vehicle Crash in Pittsburg
- A's Insider Podcast: Matt Joyce
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|