Sep 9, 2013, 8:35 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics further distanced themselves from the Texas Rangers on Monday and they didn’t even have to pick up a bat or throw a ball. The Pittsburgh Pirates did all the work for them by defeating the Rangers 1-0 in Texas.
The A’s now hold a two-game lead in the American League West.
With the road victory, the Pirates clinched their first winning season since 1992. Rookie right-handed pitcher Gerrit Cole tossed seven scoreless innings and stuck out a career-high nine hitters to defeat Yu Darvish, who hasn’t won a game in his last five starts.
Only one Rangers’ runner was able to reach second base against Cole as they were held scoreless for the ninth time this season.
The A’s open a three-game series in Minnesota against the Twins on Tuesday. Seven of the A’s final 19 games are against the Twins. The A’s are a season-high 23 games over .500, while the Twins have a 62-80 record and are in fourth place in the American League Central.
Pitching Probables: (All three games are on Comcast SportNet California)
— RHP Jarrod Parker (11-6, 3.57) vs. RHP Liam Hendriks (1-2, 5.28)
— RHP Sonny Gray (2-3, 2.51) vs. RHP Mike Pelfrey (5-11, 4.97)
— RHP A.J. Griffin (13-9, 3.91) vs. RHP Kevin Correia (9-11, 4.30)
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Bay Bridge Billboard Calls for President Trump's Impeachment
- Kerr asked about Damian Jones: 'The other thing that hurts all the centers...'
- 'Rally Against White Supremacy' Slated for Berkeley
- Norman targets Crabtree, Cooper in postgame rant after Raiders loss
- Steve Kerr: Warriors 'the most unselfish team around, but...'
- Three teams chasing Giants in tight race for first overall pick
- Niners Defense Loses a Standout in Carradine
- Raiders Offensive Line Has Rare Off Night
- Raiders snap count: Sean Smith the odd man out
- Collision in Oakland Injures 2 Officers, Civilian: Police
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Rod Streater d…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Eric Sogard on…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|