Sep 9, 2013, 7:43 PM PDT
Early Sunday morning, UCLA wide receiver Nick Pasquale was killed in an automobile accident. Head coach Jim Mora Jr. met with the media on Monday in the wake of the heartbreaking news and was doing a good job keeping his emotions in check — until a phone rang.
The call was to a media member attending the press conference. Instead of simply silencing the phone, or politely excusing himself from the room to take the call, that person answered the phone and proceeded to have a conversation.
Mora Jr. didn’t take the interruption too well. The disturbance occurs around the 1:10 mark.
As a member of the media you keep your phone on vibrate during a press conference and you most certainly do not answer the phone if someone calls. If it’s an emergency you get up and walk out of the room. Would you sit in class and talk on the phone with your teacher speaking?
Any professional member of the media would be mortified if their phone rang during an interview session. In addition to it being disrespectful to the person speaking, it ruins the sound bites that all the TV stations are shooting.
Most managers and head coaches would be miffed if something like this happened on a normal day, and Mora Jr. was speaking about one of his players passing away at the moment. All things considered, Mora handled the situation well.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- IN-GAME LIVE: 49ers vs. Broncos
- No Phones: San Mateo High Launches New Program For Students
- Why George Kittle's dad writes him a letter before every 49ers game
- How D'Angelo Russell impressed Warriors GM Bob Myers with his maturity
- Firefighters Battle Blaze in Sonoma County
- Steph Curry announces plans to fund Howard University golf teams
- Garoppolo to Return to Field in 49ers-Broncos Preseason Game
- Multi-Vehicle Crash Snarls Traffic in San Jose; No Injuries
- Ghost Ship Trial: 3 Jurors Dismissed; Deliberations Restart
- Jimmy Garoppolo set for preseason debut; three 49ers healthy scratches
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|