Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM PDT
Who’d have thought the San Francisco Giants’ play of the year would come from a great grandmother in the stands? Santa Rosa resident Virginia Smith, a great grandmother that has played softball for 39 years, stole the show on Tuesday night after making a slick catch on a foul ball at AT&T Park.
Smith told Greg Papa on Giants Postgame Live that she has carried the same glove to every game that she’s attended, but this is the first time she’s snagged a foul ball.
Smith played shortstop and second base in her softball days and she made the catch with a 15-year-old glove. Ironically, she caught a ball hit by 40-year-old Rockies first baseman Todd Helton.
Smith says she can now cross catching a foul ball off her bucket list. She was attending the game to celebrate her daughter’s birthday. This granny has game. Maybe she has a future as a “ball babe” for the Giants. She can certainly out-play most of the schlubs they trot out there.
Time to check out some links. You’re not getting any younger.
Field of Links:
— The San Jose Sharks are back in town.
— A Sacramento ski shop isn’t pleased about the Giants’ season.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ampex Sign, Long a Silicon Valley Fixture, Being Dismantled
- No Plea Deals in Oakland Ghost Ship Warehouse Fire Case: DA
- Google Bus Crashes Due to 'Mechanical Issue' in San Mateo
- Man Charged in CHP Officer's Death Posts $90K Bail
- Coyote Sightings on the Rise in San Francisco
- Willow Glen Residents Vent at Neighborhood Watch Meeting
- Family of Man Killed Along With CHP Officer Arrives, Speaks
- Memorial Service for Fallen CHP Officer Kirk Griess
- Steph Curry sheds light on Game 1 trash talk with LeBron James, promises there are 'adversarial relationships' in NBA
- Stagecoach Greens Mini-Golf Highlights SF's History
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|