Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM PST
Who’d have thought the San Francisco Giants’ play of the year would come from a great grandmother in the stands? Santa Rosa resident Virginia Smith, a great grandmother that has played softball for 39 years, stole the show on Tuesday night after making a slick catch on a foul ball at AT&T Park.
Smith told Greg Papa on Giants Postgame Live that she has carried the same glove to every game that she’s attended, but this is the first time she’s snagged a foul ball.
Smith played shortstop and second base in her softball days and she made the catch with a 15-year-old glove. Ironically, she caught a ball hit by 40-year-old Rockies first baseman Todd Helton.
Smith says she can now cross catching a foul ball off her bucket list. She was attending the game to celebrate her daughter’s birthday. This granny has game. Maybe she has a future as a “ball babe” for the Giants. She can certainly out-play most of the schlubs they trot out there.
Time to check out some links. You’re not getting any younger.
Field of Links:
— The San Jose Sharks are back in town.
— A Sacramento ski shop isn’t pleased about the Giants’ season.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Stephen Curry's palatial Oakland penthouse is for sale
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Kings trio puts on a show at 2019 NBA Rising Stars Challenge in Charlotte
- Records Challenge Nebraska's Account of Washington Case
- Why Colin Kaepernick's NFL settlement doesn't mean he'll rejoin league
- 75-Year-Old Woman Miraculously Survives Sausalito Landslide
- Klay Thompson volunteers his time to kick off All-Star Weekend in Charlotte
- Get primed for the NBA 3-point shooting contest featuring Curry vs. Curry
- UPS Driver Praised for Purposely Driving Slow During Pursuit
- Bat Found at Southland Mall Tests Positive for Rabies
- Oakland Teachers May Strike Next Week
- Steph Curry sits down for exclusive interview from NBA All-Star Weekend
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|