Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 AM PDT
Who’d have thought the San Francisco Giants’ play of the year would come from a great grandmother in the stands? Santa Rosa resident Virginia Smith, a great grandmother that has played softball for 39 years, stole the show on Tuesday night after making a slick catch on a foul ball at AT&T Park.
Smith told Greg Papa on Giants Postgame Live that she has carried the same glove to every game that she’s attended, but this is the first time she’s snagged a foul ball.
Smith played shortstop and second base in her softball days and she made the catch with a 15-year-old glove. Ironically, she caught a ball hit by 40-year-old Rockies first baseman Todd Helton.
Smith says she can now cross catching a foul ball off her bucket list. She was attending the game to celebrate her daughter’s birthday. This granny has game. Maybe she has a future as a “ball babe” for the Giants. She can certainly out-play most of the schlubs they trot out there.
Time to check out some links. You’re not getting any younger.
Field of Links:
– The San Jose Sharks are back in town.
– A Sacramento ski shop isn’t pleased about the Giants’ season.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- NFL capsule: Raiders face awful odds against Patriots
- Cardinals coach, players stunned by Dwyer's arrest
- Roger Goodell press conference
- Cardinals put Abraham on season-ending IR ahead of 49ers game
- Goodell to speak; NFL partners with domestic violence hotline
- Popular longtime 49ers staff member Rahn passes away
- 49ers-Cardinals Matchup No. 3: Mike Iupati vs. Calais Campbell
- Appeals court reconsidering Bonds' conviction
- AL Wild Card Watch: Morrison's shot vaults Mariners over Angels
- NL Wild Card Watch: Cardinals top Brewers 3-2 in 13 innings
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|