Sep 16, 2013, 12:49 PM PDT
The only heavy metal allowed inside the Oakland Coliseum will be blaring through the speakers when the A’s headbanging relievers take the mound.
Starting Thursday, the Oakland Athletics will be implementing airport-style metal detectors at the gates of the Oakland Coliseum. Fans will have to empty their pockets and pass through the detectors to gain entry to the stadium. The new rules will continue through the postseason and for every game going forward.
In a release from the A’s, it is explained that the changes to security are in line with new Major League Baseball guidelines. There’s no specific security threat that led to the changes. The metal detectors are already on site, as they are used when the Oakland Raiders and Golden State Warriors play.
It is recommended that fans show up early to avoid any complications as the new process gets underway. On Thursday, gates will open at 5:35 p.m., they open at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, and 11:05 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.
Upon hearing the news on Twitter, fans had mixed reactions to the new security procedures.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Caltrain's Rail Grinding Project to Reduce Noise
- Woman Whose Wedding Ring Was Stolen in SF Just Wants It Back
- SJ Flood Victims to Face off Against Politicians at Meeting
- Two Iron Workers Injured at Facebook Construction Site
- Judge Drops Most Charges Against Suspect Shot by SF Officers
- Ann Coulter, UC Berkeley Clash Over Canceled Visit
- Manaea felt 'little sharp pain', but status of shoulder not immediately known
- Morse, Arroyo stun Dodgers, lift Giants to thrilling comeback win
- High School Fight in East Bay Leaves One Girl Seriously Hurt
- Did Giants rookie Arroyo even know he hit first career homer off the bat?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|