Sep 17, 2013, 9:06 AM PDT
The Oakland Athletics returned home conquering heroes. They completed a 5-1 road trip that included a three-game sweep of their only true threat to repeat as American League West Champions, the Texas Rangers. The victors had their heads held high as they entered the Oakland Coliseum with a 6.5 game lead, ready to began a seven-game home stand that could include a wild champagne celebration in the clubhouse and the parking lot.
With 13 games remaining and the team across the Bay Bridge eliminated from postseason contention, you’d think the buzz at the ballpark would be electric. Guess again.
Only 14,629 were announced in attendance as the A’s sent their ace, Jarrod Parker, to the mound — a guy that hadn’t lost a game in his last 19 starts. Sure, the loyal fans were there. They always are. But the dull atmosphere was a stark reminder that the A’s still haven’t fully captured the attention of the Bay Area sports fanatics.
The A’s fell 12-1 at the hands of the Angels. It was a letdown across the board. Fortunately, the Texas Rangers can’t win a game to save their playoff lives. The A’s magic number to clinch the division is seven. To clinch at least a Wild Card spot, it’s six.
The A’s won’t play a game against a team with a winning record until the postseason. Will the 35,000-plus deafeningly loud fans that earned the respect of the A’s and their opponents alike at the end of the 2012 season wait until then to be heard?
Field of Links:
— Sonny disposition? Cal head coach Sonny Dykes threw out a first pitch to A’s pitcher Sonny Gray.
— After the most gruesome in-game injury in recent memory, Kevin Ware dunks once again.
— We saved the best for last. Check out how this Royals fan hypnotizes the crowd with his jiggles.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- 8 Injured in Muni Bus Crash in SF's Castro District
- Site for New Morgan Hill Elementary School Contaminated
- Dad Applauds Insurance Coverage Amid Health Care Battle
- Unlike Warriors, Cubs decide to go to White House; Maddon explains choice
- Shelter in Place Ordered as Belmont Police Search for Robber
- Compromise Reached in Castro Valley Caged Birds Case
- Palo Alto Leaders Consider Big Jump in Cost of Parking
- Parents Angry About Reporting Lapse in Case of SJ Swim Coach
- Sen. Feinstein Sends Rallying Cry For Marine Sanctuaries
- Top pick Heliot Ramos visits AT&T Park, will start Giants career this weekend
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|