Sep 24, 2013, 1:27 PM PDT
Sacramento Shaq-ramento Kings introduced a new member of the ownership group on Tuesday. Shaquille O’Neal sat at a table alongside owner Vivek Ranadive and fellow investor Mark Mastrov and discussed his vision for the Kings and how he can make an impact on the franchise. The new “O’wner” was in vintage Shaq form as he made the press group chuckle on several occasions.
One person that won’t be laughing, however, is Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. The young and often troubled player was called out several times by O’Neal during the press conference.
Here are Shaq’s top-5 most quotable expressions:
1. On his impact on Sacramento: “The town will be called Shaq-ramento…”
2. On the Kings being ranked the worst NBA franchise by ESPN: “They ranked us the worst. There’s no such word as worser, so we can only get better.”
3. Comparing himself to Cousins when he was younger: “Before I met Phil (Jackson), I was all over the place. I was doing great movies such as Kazaam. I was doing rap albums. I was just all over the place.”
4. On his past Sacramento Queens comments: “I was a marketing expert and I just wanted to rile the people up. It was a tough place to play. We were a little nervous. If I offended anyone, I apologize. You just need to understand the marketing expert that I am.”
5. On working with Cousins: “When it comes to leadership, one thing I’ve learned is never to micromanage… My focus is to get DeMarcus Cousins to the level that I know he can be at. When you hate to lose you can’t control the things that you say and the thing that you do.That’s called passion.”
The Kings ownership groups plans to make the team a global brand. They will do so by televising their opener live in India. During the press conference it was also revealed that their new indoor/outdoor arena will be a cash-free facility. They expect every ticket taker and concession stand to work off people’s cell phones.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Remains of Woman Who Disappeared While Shopping Identified
- SFO Travelers To and From London React to Terror Attack
- iCloud Hacked, 200M iPhone Users' Data in Danger: Report
- High School Investigates Alleged Cyberbullying Incident
- Anderson Dam Seismic Vulnerability Concerns Nearby Residents
- Tow Truck Crashes Into Hwy. 101 Divider in SF, Injuring One
- Tyreke Evans: I play best with the ball in my hands
- Highlights: Kings can't keep up with athletic Bucks
- Joerger: Kings big man Cauley-Stein getting closer with more experience
- Can Skal see himself as an Antetokounmpo in the future?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|