Sep 24, 2013, 1:27 PM PDT
Sacramento Shaq-ramento Kings introduced a new member of the ownership group on Tuesday. Shaquille O’Neal sat at a table alongside owner Vivek Ranadive and fellow investor Mark Mastrov and discussed his vision for the Kings and how he can make an impact on the franchise. The new “O’wner” was in vintage Shaq form as he made the press group chuckle on several occasions.
One person that won’t be laughing, however, is Kings center DeMarcus Cousins. The young and often troubled player was called out several times by O’Neal during the press conference.
Here are Shaq’s top-5 most quotable expressions:
1. On his impact on Sacramento: “The town will be called Shaq-ramento…”
2. On the Kings being ranked the worst NBA franchise by ESPN: “They ranked us the worst. There’s no such word as worser, so we can only get better.”
3. Comparing himself to Cousins when he was younger: “Before I met Phil (Jackson), I was all over the place. I was doing great movies such as Kazaam. I was doing rap albums. I was just all over the place.”
4. On his past Sacramento Queens comments: “I was a marketing expert and I just wanted to rile the people up. It was a tough place to play. We were a little nervous. If I offended anyone, I apologize. You just need to understand the marketing expert that I am.”
5. On working with Cousins: “When it comes to leadership, one thing I’ve learned is never to micromanage… My focus is to get DeMarcus Cousins to the level that I know he can be at. When you hate to lose you can’t control the things that you say and the thing that you do.That’s called passion.”
The Kings ownership groups plans to make the team a global brand. They will do so by televising their opener live in India. During the press conference it was also revealed that their new indoor/outdoor arena will be a cash-free facility. They expect every ticket taker and concession stand to work off people’s cell phones.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- How Rashan Gary became a football player, a brand and soon an NFL draftee
- Giants vs. Nationals lineup: Tyler Austin returns, Buster Posey sits
- Bruce Bochy takes moment to reflect as he visits D.C. for final time
- Sheriff's K-9 Unit Makes Major Drug Bust in Napa County
- Health Officials Confirm Measles Case at Google
- Sheriff's Office Investigates Alamo Jewelry Store Burglary
- Former Grand Canyon Superintendent Returns to San Francisco
- Wie (77) still in pain: 'Some shots are going to hurt'
- Henderson looks to defend, N. Korda makes first trip to Lotte Championship
- Higher Health Standards for Contra Costa County Food Trucks
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|