Sep 25, 2013, 5:09 PM PDT
Whether you agree with it or not, Raider Rusher is here. The goofy mascot emerged straight from the frames of NFL RUSH ZONE, a kids cartoon co-produced by the NFL and Nickelodeon, to make its official debut at Raiders headquarters on Tuesday.
When an image of the mascot first leaked online, the Raiders fan base was up in arms.
“Well, I’m not surprised,” Raiders director of public affairs Mike Taylor said of the initial response. “People have a passion for the Raiders and that continues to be the case, but once you understand what this is all about, this is about kids, this is about the youth, this is about our community.”
The Oakland Raiders have a certain mystique to them. They are tough, gritty, dark and angry. They are a team steeped in tradition with three Vince Lombardi Trophies. They may have fans that dress like mascots, but they certainly don’t have one.
What would Al Davis have said about this?
It’s easy to pile on. Especially when a mascot is involved. Based on the rampant displeasure voiced by fans that laid eyes on this strange looking creature with an enlarged head and no torso, Field of Teams decided to go to the source and see what the hype was all about. In the end, it turns out it’s not so bad.
Every team in the NFL has one of these NFL RUSH ZONE characters. The Raiders are the first to take their character and bring it to life. It’s actually a pretty smart move. It represents the team in a family friendly way. The team will only feature the character in the three kids zones at the Oakland Coliseum and the interactive fan tailgates. The Raiders have made it very clear that it won’t be seen on the field or standing behind the end zone hogging television time.
Based on the reaction Raider Rusher got when he made his introduction on Tuesday, it’s hard to argue with the Raiders’ logic on this one. The Raiders invited approximately 100 kids from Emerson Elementary and the Oakland Boys and Girls Club to check out this new community relations tool, and they all went absolutely crazy when the thing hit the stage. Positioned directly under Al’s infamous projector, Raider Rusher whipped the kids into a frenzy before they watched a special preview of an episode of the cartoon featuring the character and running back Darren McFadden.
When they hit the Raiders’ practice field for some drills, they had a hard time keeping the kids away from the thing. If you look at it for what it is, a community relations tool, and not as a mascot, it’s actually a pretty effective weapon.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Matt Cain to match up to $50k in donations for Make-A-Wish
- Iguodala, Curry name-dropped in Kevin Hart rap video
- Ever wonder how the Giants chalk their infield?
- Why a Steelers 2-time Super Bowl champ was in Oakland fighting diabetes
- Zay Jones pushing hard to learn Raiders offense, make instant impact
- Gov. Newsom to Ask PG&E to Provide 'Automatic Credit' to Those Affected by Outages
- George Kittle knows why Jimmy Garoppolo threw five picks vs. 49ers defense
- Warriors vs. Lakers live stream: How to watch NBA preseason game online
- 49ers' George Kittle, Joe Staley know how handsome Jimmy Garoppolo is
- Jerry Rice believes 49ers could play in Super Bowl after 5-0 start
- Napa Man Wins Weigh-Off With 2,175-Pound Pumpkin
- Patrick Marleau thanks Sharks fans for warm welcome back to San Jose
- Source: Giants interested in Cubs' Will Venable for managerial opening
- Steve Kerr jabs Warriors over lack of rebounding during preseason play
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|