Sep 26, 2013, 9:00 AM PST
Advances in mobile technology have made rookie dress-up day one of baseball’s most interesting traditions. In the past, teams would force their rookies to dress in drag, or don embarrassing costumes during a road trip and the fans would only get vague descriptions. Now, we get high quality pictures and often revolting video.
On Wednesday, the A’s trotted their rookies around as video game characters — except for Nate Freiman, who somehow ended up as Marge Simpson. Then again, there have been plenty of video games featuring The Simpsons.
Here’s a team photo taken by Josh Reddick.
Here’s my best guess as to who each player/character is (from left to right). Dan Otero as Mileena from Mortal Kombat, Derek Norris as Ryu from Street Fighter, Dan Straily as Wolvereen, Pedro Figueroa as Raiden from Mortal Kombat, Michael Choice as Link from Zelda, clubby Greg Sommer (I think) as Ken, Stephen Vogt as a fat referee from Madden 25, Evan Scribner as frogger, Sonny Gray as Robin, Nate Freiman as Marge.
A’s pitcher Brett Anderson caught some fantastic video of Stephen Vogt helping the team cross the street to the team hotel.
Here are some more of the rookies hanging out in the Fairmont lobby in Seattle.
The Giants did their rookie hazing session last week. Their costumes were a bit more skimpy.
You have to respect how the Giants stuck to a theme and even executed it in downtown Manhattan. Last year, the A’s had a pretty skimpy theme as well, as they had so many rookies that they stuck with wrestling singlets.
Field of Links:
— Go Giagers? Ladies and gentlemen, meet the worst baseball fan in the world.
— By literally, you probably mean figuratively. As this was literally photoshopped.
— My eyes are burning.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Why several Giants stars ride scooters to the ballpark
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Report Details Firefighters' Harrowing Work in Paradise
- Four 49ers players to watch in NFL Week 15 game vs. Seahawks
- Many wins and broken bones later, one-of-a-kind Thornberry ready for pro golf
- Merchant Marines Veterans Hoping to Get Their Due
- CPUC Accuses PG&E of Falsifying Safety Documents
- Warriors beat Kings this time, but NorCal rivalry just getting started
- Michelle Obama Shares Life Lessons on 'Becoming' Tour
- East Bay Prepares for Evacuation Drill
- Kings learn painful lesson in dreadful final four minutes vs. Warriors
- Kings lose Marvin Bagley to injury in heartbreaking loss to Warriors
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|