Sep 26, 2013, 4:03 PM PST
The 40/40 club could be the most exclusive group in Major League Baseball. Only four players have managed to hit 40 home runs and steal 40 bases in a single season. Two of those athletes did it while playing in the Bay Area.
On this week in sports history, Jose Canseco and Barry Bonds both entered the 40/40 club.
Canseco became the inaugural member of the club on Sept. 23, 1998, when he stole his 39th and 40th bases of the season. Bonds became the second to join the club when he stole his 40th base on Sept. 27, 1996. He had to steal seven bases in the final week of the season to pull it off.
They each finished their 40/40 year with 42 home runs. Those weren’t the only eye-popping stats from the lumbering sluggers in their 40/40 year. Bonds led all of baseball with 151 walks in 1996. Canseco led baseball with 124 RBI in 1988.
There’s a reason there are so few players that have accomplished the feat. It takes a superhuman blend of power and speed to hit that many home runs and steal that many bases. The first three members of the four-man club have been linked to performance-enhancing drugs.
In 2006, Alfonso Soriano hit 46 home runs and stole 41 bases to join the club and has spoken out against PED use. In 1956, Willie Mays hit 36 home runs and stole 40 bases. Bobby Bonds came even closer. In 1973, he hit 39 home runs and stole 43 bases.
Baseball’s 40/40 Club:
Year Player Team HR/SB
1988 Jose Canseco* Oakland Athletics 42/40
1996 Barry Bonds* San Francisco Giants 42/40
1998 Alex Rodriguez* Seattle Mariners 42/46
2006 Alfonso Soriano Washington Nationals 46/41
* Linked to PEDs
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Do Stephen, Seth Curry have a wager for who wins the 3-Point Contest?
- Visit Bend!
- UPS Driver Purposely Drove Slow, Over Spikes in Pursuit
- Andre Iguodala 'loves being that guy' to people rude to Steph Curry
- Bruce Bochy says Steven Duggar will get look as Giants' leadoff hitter
- Giants continue discussing trade options as they wait for Bryce Harper
- Kings quartet looks to make big splash at 2019 NBA All-Star Weekend
- Report: Giants agree to minor league deal with veteran outfielder Craig Gentry
- Risk of Flooding, Mudslides Remains After California Storm
- WB Lanes on Highway 37 in Novato Closed Due to Flooding
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|