Sep 27, 2013, 8:52 AM PST
The 49ers-Rams game on Thursday night can be summed up in one GIF.
Rams quarterback Sam Bradford didn’t like what he saw from the 49ers defense — a squad that didn’t have Patrick Willis or Aldon Smith. They did, however, have NaVorro Bowman, who looked like he filled the shoes of three men as he was all over the field making plays in the 49ers’ 35-11 win. The 49ers got off to a slow start, but it looked like they started to get their swagger back as the game went on.
Colin Kaepernick stole all the headlines in the offseason, but this team’s offense needs to be about Frank Gore and the running game. They got away from that too much and everything came to a grinding halt.
— Mariano Rivera bid the New York crowd farewell last night. He is the best closer in the history of baseball and you may not have realized it at the time, but it was a privilege watching him saw off the bats and crush the hopes and dreams of your favorite team in the ninth inning. Rivera’s MLB record 652 saves will be etched in the annals of time, but many will remember him as one of the classiest players ever to step onto a baseball diamond.
Rivera was truly one of a kind. Watch the video below and do your best not to shed a tear.
— Tim Lincecum may have made his final start as a San Francisco Giant on Thursday night. “The Freak,” “The Franchise,” “The Freaky Franchise,” or whatever you choose to call him, could easily be considered one of the best Giants pitchers of all time. Lincecum won two Cy Young awards, threw a no-hitter, led the majors in strikeouts three times, and won two games in the 2010 World Series to help deliver the Giants’ first championship in San Francisco.
Lincecum won two World Series rings in San Francisco, which are more than Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry have combined. Just sayin’. The team will likely attempt to re-sign Lincecum, but anything can happen on the open market.
Time for some championship-caliber links.
Field of Links:
— Brian Wilson has an issue with Larry Baer. Find out what it is here.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Why several Giants stars ride scooters to the ballpark
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Field of Links: 49ers fan Andy Samberg rips the Seahawks on Letterman
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- MLB rumors: Mike Fiers on Giants' free agency radar; competition high
- Report Details Firefighters' Harrowing Work in Paradise
- Four 49ers players to watch in NFL Week 15 game vs. Seahawks
- Many wins and broken bones later, one-of-a-kind Thornberry ready for pro golf
- Merchant Marines Veterans Hoping to Get Their Due
- CPUC Accuses PG&E of Falsifying Safety Documents
- Warriors beat Kings this time, but NorCal rivalry just getting started
- Michelle Obama Shares Life Lessons on 'Becoming' Tour
- East Bay Prepares for Evacuation Drill
- Kings learn painful lesson in dreadful final four minutes vs. Warriors
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|