Sep 27, 2013, 8:52 AM PDT
The 49ers-Rams game on Thursday night can be summed up in one GIF.
Rams quarterback Sam Bradford didn’t like what he saw from the 49ers defense — a squad that didn’t have Patrick Willis or Aldon Smith. They did, however, have NaVorro Bowman, who looked like he filled the shoes of three men as he was all over the field making plays in the 49ers’ 35-11 win. The 49ers got off to a slow start, but it looked like they started to get their swagger back as the game went on.
Colin Kaepernick stole all the headlines in the offseason, but this team’s offense needs to be about Frank Gore and the running game. They got away from that too much and everything came to a grinding halt.
— Mariano Rivera bid the New York crowd farewell last night. He is the best closer in the history of baseball and you may not have realized it at the time, but it was a privilege watching him saw off the bats and crush the hopes and dreams of your favorite team in the ninth inning. Rivera’s MLB record 652 saves will be etched in the annals of time, but many will remember him as one of the classiest players ever to step onto a baseball diamond.
Rivera was truly one of a kind. Watch the video below and do your best not to shed a tear.
— Tim Lincecum may have made his final start as a San Francisco Giant on Thursday night. “The Freak,” “The Franchise,” “The Freaky Franchise,” or whatever you choose to call him, could easily be considered one of the best Giants pitchers of all time. Lincecum won two Cy Young awards, threw a no-hitter, led the majors in strikeouts three times, and won two games in the 2010 World Series to help deliver the Giants’ first championship in San Francisco.
Lincecum won two World Series rings in San Francisco, which are more than Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry have combined. Just sayin’. The team will likely attempt to re-sign Lincecum, but anything can happen on the open market.
Time for some championship-caliber links.
Field of Links:
— Brian Wilson has an issue with Larry Baer. Find out what it is here.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: Giants take on outfielder Michael Morse and his epic '80s walk-up song
- Stephen and Seth Curry bring their sibling rivalry to the NBA
- Livingston on Kerr: 'He’s our leader ... somebody that we count on'
- New Raiders RB Hood modeled game after Marshawn, wants to learn from Lynch
- Lynch: TE McDonald to return to 49ers after being on trade block
- Lynch: 49ers expected to pick up Ward's fifth-year option
- A's Notes: Date for Sonny Gray's first start of season set
- Raiders select DT Treyvon Hester in seventh round of 2017 NFL Draft
- Raiders select RB Elijah Hood in seventh round of 2017 NFL Draft
- Cal Fire Rescues Man Who Fell Into Gilroy Well
- Giants lineup: Nunez in right field against Padres
- People's Climate March Draws Hundreds Across Bay Area
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|