Sep 30, 2013, 10:07 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 - The Raiders did the right thing, got the wrong result: The Raiders protected starting quarterback Terrelle Pryor and held him out of Sunday’s game after he suffered a concussion earlier in the week. They did right by their young quarterback after mistakenly leaving him in the game following this shot to the head last Monday.
With Pryor on the sideline, the Raiders coughed up a 14 point lead and lost 24-14 at home to a beatable Washington Redskins team. Backup quarterback Matt Flynn proved to be a massive downgrade from Pryor.
Raiders insider Scott Bair didn’t pull any punches when assessing Flynn’s performance.
He was sacked seven times, threw a pick-six and lost a fumble in Raiders territory. Unacceptable. His play also proves the Raiders right for starting Pryor in the first place.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen wasn’t much kinder in his assessment.
“Matt didn’t play well and we have to move on,” Allen said.
No. 2 - Hunter Pence got paid: By now, everyone has heard about Hunter Pence’s new five-year, $90 million contract with the San Francisco Giants. Perhaps the most fascinating dynamic of the deal was that it was being negotiated in front of everybody in the Giants’ clubhouse on Friday night. That’s certainly something you don’t see every day.
“They’re about to get back to me, seriously,” Pence told Giants insider Andrew Baggarly, after Giants president Larry Baer left the clubhouse. “So we’re either really close or really far away.”
It turns out they were indeed really close. Pence signed on the dotted line the following morning. Pence played in all 162 games this season. He hit .283 with 27 home runs, 99 RBI and 22 stolen bases. Those numbers are fine and all, but he deserves every penny of that $90 million for this.
No. 3 - All aboard the A’s bandwagon: Take a stroll outside. There sure are a lot of people wearing green and gold. With the Giants’ season officially over and the A’s postseason soon to begin, the casual Bay Area fan is once again taking part in its seasonal migratory ritual. The excitement and passion that a trip to the postseason brings is what we’re all about. It’s just funny that a group of these fans couldn’t recognize a player if he shared a common dining area with them.
Sonny Gray will be more recognizable soon. The rookie pitcher finished the season 5-3 with a 2.57 ERA and looks to be a lock to make the A’s postseason rotation.
No. 4 - Those Giants always have to find a way to upstage the A’s: We’ll take your sewage and raise you a clubhouse fire. NBC Bay Area reported that a dryer caught fire in one of the clubhouses at AT&T Park on Saturday night. The San Francisco Fire Department was dispatched around 9:00 p.m. to put it out. No one was injured in the incident and it was believed to be a small fire.
It has been a strange year for the Bay Area’s baseball venues. A car was lit on fire at the Oakland Coliseum, a hovering DeLorean crashed in McCovey Cove, and there’s no need to mention the sewage again.
No. 5 - There are simply no words that can adequately describe this man’s awesomeness: Seriously. I’m not even going to try. Just watch the video.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
– Most Giants fans probably won’t dig it, but the Dodgers did the coolest fan appreciation promo ever. A personalized voicemail greeting by legendary broadcaster Vin Scully.
– Play of the week? The Seattle Seahawks improved to 4-0 by beating the Texans in overtime. Earlier in the game, they did this.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- More pics of Balfour's massive truck, and a look at another monster rig
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- The Hidden Relics of Candlestick Park
- Bo Pelini’s out-the-door rant makes him perfect for 49ers coach
- Randle scores 31 as Stanford tops Loyola Marymount
- Aldon Smith reacts to possibility Justin Smith will retire
- 49ers injury report: Nine kept out of practice
- Report: Michigan makes offer to 49ers coach Harbaugh
- Preds' Neal fined for diving late in loss to Sharks
- Hyde: It'll take a miracle to play Saturday vs. Chargers
- 49ers release Ray McDonald for 'pattern of poor decision-making'
- Kaepernick: You have to abide by high standard
- Tierney getting another shot at NHL after recall to Sharks
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|