Oct 2, 2013, 8:51 AM PST
Donte Whitner wants to drop the “W” from his last name. After receiving a $21,000 fine for hitting Rams wide receiver Chris GIvens, the hard-hitting safety figures he may as well wear it and become Donte “Hitner.”
“Hitner” will be appealing the fine. He was penalized but not fined for a similar hit on Indianapolis Colts running back Ahmad Bradshaw in Week Three. Upon further review, it was determined the hit on Bradshaw shouldn’t have resulted in a penalty.
“I don’t know what we can do as players,” Whitner said on Tuesday. “Just put flags on and pull those off. Maybe fans will like that. Maybe not.”
Take a look at the hit. Do you think Whitner will win his appeal? He says he led with his shoulder and was trying to dislodge the ball. The NFL sees it as a hit on a defenseless receiver. For what it’s worth, Givens himself said it wasn’t a dirty hit.
— Another 49ers player took to Twitter to voice his frustration on Tuesday and it didn’t come off nearly as well as Whitner’s rant. LaMichael James tweeted the following and quickly deleted it:
James was inactive for the first three games of the season before playing last week. He carried the ball three times against the St. Louis Rams and didn’t gain a yard. Last season, former 49ers running back Brandon Jacobs took the same path and it ended up costing him his job. James is a second-round pick and Jacobs was past his prime. Don’t expect to see the 23-year-old running back in the unemployment line any time soon
— The Oakland Athletics and Detroit Tigers have set their American League Division Series rotations. Veteran starting pitcher Bartolo Colon will get the Game One nod against Tigers ace Max Scherzer.
Colon vs. Scherzer
Sonny Gray vs. Justin Verlander
Jarrod Parker vs. Anibal Sanchez
Dan Straily vs. Doug Fister
Giving Gray the Game Two start came as a surprise, but the A’s want to pitch him at home. Dan Straily has a bit more experience, so they trust him a little more on the road.
The A’s have fared well against the Tigers’ starters recently. Scherzer allowed six runs (five earned) against the A’s on August 29. Two days earlier, Verlander allowed five runs (three earned) in a losing effort in Detroit.
If the A’s can win their first World Series since 1989, general manager Billy Beane’s next challenge could be to fix the city of Oakland…
Field of Links:
— The Pittsburgh Pirates won the N.L. Wild Card game and this guy jumped off a bridge to celebrate. The franchise’s first postseason win since 1992 might have a strange effect on people.
— Down goes Todd Frazier. What a crazy catch.
— Bettman may have slept through this… Hockey Fight! George Parros may have won the battle, but he didn’t win the war. He was knocked unconscious in this scary moment.
— Palate cleanser: Baby Squirrel? Sure, why not?
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- New A's player Craig Gentry has a very strange nickname
- Check out Hunter Pence's scooter-riding bobblehead
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Stephen Curry's palatial Oakland penthouse is for sale
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Kings trio puts on a show at 2019 NBA Rising Stars Challenge in Charlotte
- Records Challenge Nebraska's Account of Washington Case
- Why Colin Kaepernick's NFL settlement doesn't mean he'll rejoin league
- 75-Year-Old Woman Miraculously Survives Sausalito Landslide
- Klay Thompson volunteers his time to kick off All-Star Weekend in Charlotte
- Get primed for the NBA 3-point shooting contest featuring Curry vs. Curry
- UPS Driver Praised for Purposely Driving Slow During Pursuit
- Bat Found at Southland Mall Tests Positive for Rabies
- Oakland Teachers May Strike Next Week
- Steph Curry sits down for exclusive interview from NBA All-Star Weekend
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|