Oct 2, 2013, 2:32 PM PDT
UPDATE: MLB.com pulled the video offline. There has been no explanation as to why. If we find some details we’ll pass them along.
Roy Steele became known as “The Voice of God” because of the way his voice boomed from the Oakland Coliseum speakers and echoed through the thick cement structure.
He may know the A’s home better than anyone on the planet. He announced the A’s first game in 1968 and only missed five games in a stretch of 38 years before having to step down due to a throat ailment prior to the 2006 season.
Steele, 80, has only been able to return for a handful of games and the occasional ceremony. Now, fans can once again listen to the legendary announcer, as he lends his voice to a special postseason trailer for the A’s.
The 2:08 video featuring Steele’s vocal stylings is a tribute to the Oakland Coliseum. It presents the old stadium in a manner in which only an A’s fan can understand. The video shows historical footage of some of the A’s great championship teams cross cut with different slow panning views of the stadium.
If you’re an A’s fan, or have ever been to a baseball game in Oakland, it is worth a watch. Good luck not getting chills.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Caltrain's Rail Grinding Project to Reduce Noise
- Woman Whose Wedding Ring Was Stolen in SF Just Wants It Back
- SJ Flood Victims to Face off Against Politicians at Meeting
- Two Iron Workers Injured at Facebook Construction Site
- Judge Drops Most Charges Against Suspect Shot by SF Officers
- Ann Coulter, UC Berkeley Clash Over Canceled Visit
- Manaea felt 'little sharp pain', but status of shoulder not immediately known
- Morse, Arroyo stun Dodgers, lift Giants to thrilling comeback win
- High School Fight in East Bay Leaves One Girl Seriously Hurt
- Did Giants rookie Arroyo even know he hit first career homer off the bat?
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|