Oct 2, 2013, 2:32 PM PDT
UPDATE: MLB.com pulled the video offline. There has been no explanation as to why. If we find some details we’ll pass them along.
Roy Steele became known as “The Voice of God” because of the way his voice boomed from the Oakland Coliseum speakers and echoed through the thick cement structure.
He may know the A’s home better than anyone on the planet. He announced the A’s first game in 1968 and only missed five games in a stretch of 38 years before having to step down due to a throat ailment prior to the 2006 season.
Steele, 80, has only been able to return for a handful of games and the occasional ceremony. Now, fans can once again listen to the legendary announcer, as he lends his voice to a special postseason trailer for the A’s.
The 2:08 video featuring Steele’s vocal stylings is a tribute to the Oakland Coliseum. It presents the old stadium in a manner in which only an A’s fan can understand. The video shows historical footage of some of the A’s great championship teams cross cut with different slow panning views of the stadium.
If you’re an A’s fan, or have ever been to a baseball game in Oakland, it is worth a watch. Good luck not getting chills.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Oakland Considers Near $1M Payment For Teen in Sex Scandal
- Ex-Soccer Coach Arrested on Suspicion of Molesting Girl, 11
- Watch: Baby Zebra Runs Around in Hearst Castle
- Warriors, Cavs to square off in ultimate NBA Finals trilogy
- Wildlife Workers Save Pelican With CPR-Like Procedure
- More Legal Maneuvering in Mavericks Surf Saga
- Ex-UCSF Doctor Pleads Not Guilty in Bogus Prescriptions Case
- 4-Alarm Fire Prompts Evacuations in Downtown Stockton
- The Happy Hour: 'Very good idea' to legalize extended sports gambling
- Family Seeks Closure, Answers in Case of Missing Teen
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: SB48 fall…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sogard surging…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Sharks chomp P…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|