Oct 3, 2013, 8:46 AM PST
Major League Baseball’s Wild Card games capture the intensity fitting of a win-or-go-home game in a convenient and tidy package. The games give the fans in an additional two cities hope. They also rake in extra ticket sales, postseason apparel sales and plenty of other profits for MLB.
The format, however, is a little screwed up.
Last season, the powers that be in baseball decided to start the teams with home field advantage on the road — thus, eliminating their actual advantage — in order to limit the travel burden of the Wild Card teams. Now, another obvious flaw will soon be exposed. The top-seeded playoff team absolutely gets the shaft.
The Boston Red Sox have been sitting around waiting to play while the Tampa Bay Rays have been blasting through teams like a bolt from Chewbacca’s bowcaster.
The Rays won game 163 against the Rangers and took out the Indians 4-0 in the A.L. Wild Card Game on Wednesday. They have been playing with their backs against the wall since September. They could do everyone a favor and knock out the top team in the American League by catching them at the right time. Rest isn’t really a good thing in baseball. Check out what A’s manager Bob Melvin told Joe Stiglich about the extra time off.
“Sometimes that wild card team is the most dangerous team because they’re playing every day, scratching and clawing to get in,” Melvin said. “There’s a lot of intensity in the way they play, then they move right into it.”
The A’s and Tigers are the second and third seeds and they are on a more even playing field. They each have an extra four days off. Speaking of time off, the Tigers looked unstoppable last season, before they had five days off and then got swept by the San Francisco Giants in the World Series. Good luck, Red Sox.
Baseball should expedite the Wild Card games and not spread them out so much. That would help fix the problem.
— Here’s a story that didn’t get enough attention: Sacramento Kings’ center DeMarcus Cousins took $1 million from his freshly inked four-year, $62 million contract and donated it to charity. Cousins’ character has been questioned in the past, but this was a major sign of maturity. Cousins is one of the most dynamic big men in the league and now he has Shaquille O’Neal to keep him in check.
— 49ers safety Donte Whitner was upset over recent penalties and fines. His solution: Change his last name to “Hitner.” That will surely stop the league from targeting him. It’s not a joke. He’s really doing it. Here’s an artist’s rendering of what his new jersey will look like.
Here’s (W)hitner’s surprisingly very rational explanation:
Field of Links:
— Jordan Spieth hit a hole-in-one, but it didn’t count. (It was during a practice round)
— Patrick Roy is a coach now… Is still pretty crazy.
— He’s also known for this awesome goalie fight.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- Terrell Owens' wife reportedly wants out after two-week marriage
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Motorist OK After Slamming Into Train in San Leandro
- UC Berkeley Professor Warns of Killer Robots in Viral Video
- Timeline of Kate Steinle Murder Trial
- Kate Steinle Trial: No Verdict After Day 2 of Deliberations
- Ex-Students Discuss Alleged Misconduct at Presentation High
- Gameday: Bring on Lonzo Ball vs De'Aaron Fox in the NBA
- Basketball junkie Vince Carter ecstatic to return from bout with kidney stones
- Teen Fetching Ball in SF Stabbed by Man With Scissors: PD
- Who 49ers start at quarterback is the last thing on Pete Carroll's mind
- Escaped Inmate Captured in Stockton, Other Still At Large
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|