Oct 8, 2013, 9:54 AM PDT
The Major League Baseball postseason is all sorts of crazy and it’s only the first round.
A’s-Tigers: The Oakland Athletics and Detroit Tigers series got feisty when Grant Balfour and Victor Martinez engaged in a profanity laced shouting match during the ninth inning.
Balfour got the last laugh by getting Martinez to line out to right field. He also locked down the save. The A’s won the game 6-3 and took a 2-1 lead in the series.
The A’s hit three home runs against Anibal Sanchez, the American League ERA leader. Sanchez hadn’t allowed more than one home run in a game all season.
Rays-Red Sox: Down three runs and facing elimination, the Tampa Bay Rays rallied back against the Boston Red Sox. Evan Longoria did the bulk of the damage when he hit a game-tying three-run home run in the fifth inning. Rays catcher Jose Lobaton stole the show with a walk-off home run into the fish tank.
There are also unconfirmed reports that a vile creature reached into the same tank and attacked a Ray. No, seriously.
This one was downright looney. Before Game One, Braves players refused to catch a ceremonial first pitch from Chipper Jones because he picked the Dodgers to win the series. He ended up throwing the pitch to a mascot. Classy treatment for one of the all-time great Braves players.
It turns out Chipper was right on the money, as the Dodgers knocked out the Braves in four games. Clayton Kershaw pitched on three days rest and Juan Uribe hit a go-ahead two-run home run in the eighth inning. The Dodgers are heading to the National League Championship Series for the first time since 2009.
Since there wasn’t a swimming pool present, Yasiel Puig found something else to soak Uribe in during his postgame interview.
The St. Louis Cardinals had to turn to a 21-year-old rookie pitcher to stay alive in the NLDS. Michael Wacha retired the first 15 Pittsburgh Pirates he faced and only allowed one hit and one run in 7 1/3 innings in order to force a Game Five. Matt Holliday’s two-run home run was all the scoring the Cardinals would need.
The Pirates will have to attempt to win their first postseason series since 1979 on the road.
Field of Links:
— Nike has unveiled its new Pro Bowl uniforms. The image of a 49ers helmet on a mock Seahawks uniform will make your eyes hurt.
— The female Presidents Cup streaker is speaking out. The first link is SFW the second one is NSFW:
“I wanted to add a little excitement to golf because everyone seemed kind of depressed and like they weren’t having fun because of the weather,” she said. “I hadn’t been to a lot of sporting events…I just thought it would be interesting to try something like this.”
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Throwback Thursday: Tyson banned for biting Holyfield's ears
- Find out where the 49ers stand in the EA Sports Madden 25 ratings
- The Raider Rusher is very real, will debut Tuesday
- Anthony Dixon's younger brother is a baseball trick shot master
- Midweek Showers to Replace Spring-Like Weather
- Kings learn another harsh lesson, blow massive lead in loss to Nets
- License Plate Readers Urged, Approved in East Bay Locales
- San Francisco May Ban E-Cigarettes Sales Unless FDA-Approved
- UC Berkeley Investigating Former Student's SAT Scores
- Jury: Monsanto Was a Factor in Sonoma County Man's Cancer
- South Bay Community Demands Transparency Under New State Law
- Sharks Clinch Berth in Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Operator of Los Gatos Clinic Charged With Insurance Fraud
- No Charges for SF Giants CEO in Altercation With Wife: DA
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|