Oct 8, 2013, 8:15 PM PDT
The San Jose State Spartans are making the most of their moniker with an awe-inspiring new basketball court design.
The new flooring makes San Jose State the latest school to join the flashy and attention-grabbing trend of creating an artistic playing surface.
The court was installed on Saturday and the whole process took three months from design approval to final installation. The floor was produced by USI Flooring in Idaho. They have done the flooring for several other schools and for the NCAA Final Four.
The Spartans in the foreground evoke images of the 300 men that fought valiantly against a much larger Persian army in the Battle of Thermopylae. It’s too bad they weren’t on the same side. Xerxes, the seven-foot-tall Persian leader, would have made a solid center.
Each of the five spartans on the floor are meant to represent the five positions in basketball. One of the most functional features of the court is the darker stained wood inside three-point range. The court will make its official debut on November 4, when the Spartans host Cal State Monterey Bay.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Stabbing on BART Train Shuts Down South Hayward Station
- City Settles Civil Rights Suit Filed by Palo Alto Man
- PG&E to Shut Off Power in 18 Counties, Three in Bay Area
- Kings' accumulated depth paying dividends as team creeps back to .500
- Bogdan Bogdanovic catches fire as Kings stay hot, finish off win over Suns
- List: School Closures Due to PG&E Power Shutoffs
- Bumping is Back: More Passengers Booted from Flights
- Warriors' hard work finally 'rewarded' with skid-busting win in Memphis
- Shot of the Game: Bogdan Bogdanovic drains 3-pointer for new scoring high
- Sharks' 6-Game Win Streak Snapped by Oilers
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|