Oct 8, 2013, 8:15 PM PDT
The San Jose State Spartans are making the most of their moniker with an awe-inspiring new basketball court design.
The new flooring makes San Jose State the latest school to join the flashy and attention-grabbing trend of creating an artistic playing surface.
The court was installed on Saturday and the whole process took three months from design approval to final installation. The floor was produced by USI Flooring in Idaho. They have done the flooring for several other schools and for the NCAA Final Four.
The Spartans in the foreground evoke images of the 300 men that fought valiantly against a much larger Persian army in the Battle of Thermopylae. It’s too bad they weren’t on the same side. Xerxes, the seven-foot-tall Persian leader, would have made a solid center.
Each of the five spartans on the floor are meant to represent the five positions in basketball. One of the most functional features of the court is the darker stained wood inside three-point range. The court will make its official debut on November 4, when the Spartans host Cal State Monterey Bay.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ghost Ship Trial: 3 Jurors Dismissed; Deliberations Restart
- Pleasant Hill Votes Down Recreational Pot Businesses
- Criminal Complaints Against 8 in Contra Costa Sideshows
- Mountain Lion Family Spotted Along South Bay Hiking Trail
- 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo knocks off rust despite few reps in preseason debut
- San Jose’s Bumpy Roads Are Getting a Makeover
- No Death Penalty Sought in Nia Wilson BART Stabbing Case: DA
- Garoppolo Flops in Debut, But 49ers Beat Broncos
- Warriors' Steph Curry amazed by Andre Iguodala's stellar drive off tee
- No Phones: San Mateo High Launches New Program For Students
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|