Oct 8, 2013, 8:15 PM PST
The San Jose State Spartans are making the most of their moniker with an awe-inspiring new basketball court design.
The new flooring makes San Jose State the latest school to join the flashy and attention-grabbing trend of creating an artistic playing surface.
The court was installed on Saturday and the whole process took three months from design approval to final installation. The floor was produced by USI Flooring in Idaho. They have done the flooring for several other schools and for the NCAA Final Four.
The Spartans in the foreground evoke images of the 300 men that fought valiantly against a much larger Persian army in the Battle of Thermopylae. It’s too bad they weren’t on the same side. Xerxes, the seven-foot-tall Persian leader, would have made a solid center.
Each of the five spartans on the floor are meant to represent the five positions in basketball. One of the most functional features of the court is the darker stained wood inside three-point range. The court will make its official debut on November 4, when the Spartans host Cal State Monterey Bay.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Despite loss, Sharks 'in a good spot' headed into bye week
- Trading Cousins is the ultimate Kingstastic move
- REPORT: Kings trade Cousins to New Orleans Pelicans
- Instant Replay: Bruins score in overtime, send Sharks to the break with a loss
- Warriors All-Stars combine for 56 points, West wins
- Ben Lomond Man's Body Plucked from San Lorenzo River
- Source: Kings, Pelicans have discussed possible Cousins trade
- 1-on-1 with Baron Davis: 'We Believe' Warriors vs 2016-17 Warriors
- Rookie Bryan (T-5) covets Masters invitation
- Mudslide in Orinda Threatens Stability of Transmission Tower
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|