Oct 10, 2013, 9:46 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics are left searching for answers after another abrupt departure from the postseason at the hands of Detroit Tigers’ ace Justin Verlander.
Verlander dominated the A’s over eight innings of shutout baseball to send his team to the American League Championship Series with a 3-0 victory. The A’s have been eliminated by the Tigers in each of their previous three trips to the postseason.
Verlander has done the bulk of the damage. He is now 3-0 with a 0.29 ERA and 43 strikeouts in his last four postseason starts against the A’s.
The fans did all they could to help. They even brought jumbo posters bearing the likeness of Verlander’s ex-girlfriend, supermodel Kate Upton. The posters were meant to rattle Verlander, but clearly had the opposite effect.
The one-sided nature of the game meant the social media landscape was pretty tame. Here’s the tweet and .GIF recap. As always, there’s total A’s coverage over on CSNBayArea.com.
Sonny Gray walks Prince Fielder to start the second inning. He pitches his way out of trouble. The inning ends when Gray strikes out Johnny Peralta and Steven Vogt catches Fielder in a rundown:
Gray has a no-hitter through three innings:
So does Verlander:
In the fourth inning, Torii Hunter gets the first hit of the game, a single. Miguel Cabrera follows with a two-run home run to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead:
After Cabrera’s home run, the Tigers load the bases with two outs. With 48,000 fans on their feet screaming, Gray gets Omar Infante to ground out:
Verlander remains perfect through the fourth inning. Gray gets in a two on, two out jam in the fifth, but fields a sharp comebacker off the bat of Fielder to end the threat:
Verlander is still perfect through five innings. Brace yourself for the worst tweet ever:
Gray leaves the game with two on and no outs in the sixth inning. Dan Otero enters and almost pitches out of the jam. He gets a double play ball, but Josh Donaldson bounces the throw to second and Alberto Callaspo can’t turn two. Victor Martinez scores on the play to make it 3-0:
Jose Canseco makes a bold prediction. Josh Reddick ruins Verlander’s perfect game with a walk in the sixth, but they don’t score five runs or get a hit:
An inning later, Yoenis Cespedes gets the A’s first hit of the night, but Verlander’s shutout remains intact through seven innings:
The loudest cheer of the night occurs when M.C. Hammer is shown in the crowd while they play Too Legit To Quit:
Somehow this man’s sarcastic tweet is confirmed by Wikipedia:
Wikipedia might actually be correct:
Verlander is taken out of the game after eight shutout innings. The Tigers send Joaquin Benoit in to close out the game. The A’s get the trying run to the plate:
Seth Smith pops out and the A’s season is over:
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- Throwback Thursday: Tyson banned for biting Holyfield's ears
- Ever wonder what MLB players talk about at 1B?
- See the A's wives and girlfriends run miles for smiles
- Sharks vs. Sabres live stream: Watch NHL game online on MyTeams
- Water Main Break Prompts Street Closure in Alameda
- 49ers-Rams injury report: CB Jimmie Ward unlikely to play Sunday
- Jazz a revenge game for Jonas Jerebko? 'Don’t really care about them anymore'
- Richard Sherman explains why he's not disappointed teams aren't targeting him
- Marin-native Jared Goff addresses Bay Area-LA rivalry
- 'Amazon Go' Store Approved for SF's Financial District
- Sharks debuting new 3D helmet decal on Stealth Night
- Evaluating A's arbitration in 2018 MLB offseason: Liam Hendriks
- Why Raiders might wade back into NFL trade market with rumors swirling
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|