Oct 10, 2013, 4:34 PM PDT
The Oakland Athletics have found good fortune on this day in history. As they get set to take on the Detroit Tigers in a win-or-go-home Game 5, here’s a brief history lesson.
The A’s swept the Boston Red Sox in the American League Championship Series. Dave Stewart started the game and only allowed one run through eight innings.
The A’s ended up getting swept by the Cincinnati Reds in the World Series.
Fast forward 23 years, and Stewart will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 5.
The low budget A’s got the jump on the New York Yankees with a 5-3 win in Game 1 of the ALDS. Johnny Damon went 4 for 4 and drew a walk.
The A’s ended up losing the series three games to two.
The A’s were on the verge of elimination at the hands of the Tigers. Down 3-1 in the bottom of the ninth, the A’s mounted a comeback against Tigers’ closer Jose Valverde. Josh Reddick started the rally with a single. Josh Donaldson followed with a double off the left field wall. Seth Smith stepped to the plate with runners on second and third and pulled a game-tying two-run double into the gap.
With two outs, Coco Crisp stepped to the plate and drove in Smith with a walk-off single to right field.
It was a moment that produced a primal scream in the radio booth by Ray Fosse.
The A’s ended up losing that series in Game 5. Tigers’ ace Justin Verlander proved to be too much for them to handle.
Verlander has been tough for the A’s hitters to solve recently. He has a 1.69 ERA in three postseason starts at the Oakland Coliseum. The A’s are 0-5 in Game 5 of the ALDS. The numbers indicate the A’s have a slim chance at advancing to the 2013 ALCS, but maybe October 10, is their day.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Berkeley Architect Fights Religious Oppression With Education: Teaches At Illegal, Underground University
- Man Suspected of Having Sex With Teen Boy in Novato: Police
- 49ers Pick Stanford DE Solomon Thomas in the First Round
- Raiders Take Ohio St. CB Gareon Conley in 1st Round of Draft
- Police in Standoff with Walnut Creek Homicide Suspect
- Teacher Accused of Taking Lewd Photos of Young Girls
- Raiders' first-round pick Conley opens up on emotions after off-field issues
- Drive of the Game: Alonso puts A's on the board with single vs Angels
- Graveman breaks down unreal double play, making progress on mound
- Melvin on Graveman double play: Best play manager has ever seen by pitcher
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|