Oct 15, 2013, 5:00 PM PST
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Anquan Boldin doesn’t think the NFL takes player safety seriously. He is citing Thursday Night Football as his prime example.
Having seen a lot in his 11-year NFL career, Boldin didn’t hesitate to speak his mind when asked about player safety during a Google+ Hangout hosted by Bay Area News Group.
“There are some things that just don’t make sense to me,” Boldin said during the video conference. “If you’re so concerned about player safety, then why do you have every team in the NFL playing on Thursday nights after they just competed on Sunday, knowing exactly how difficult it is for guys to get back to being healthy after playing Sunday?”
“Guys really don’t feel like they are back until probably Thursday or Friday to get prepared for that next week,” Boldin added.
Boldin’s opinion is respected, especially when it comes to the issue of safety in the NFL. In 2008, while a member of the Arizona Cardinals, Boldin was the victim of a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit that knocked him out cold and fractured a sinus membrane in his face. He underwent surgery and returned to the field after missing just two games.
“I think the league is covering their butt,” Boldin said with a laugh.
He did note that he likes the league’s sideline testing process after a player takes a hard hit. He credited the league for using outside doctors to determine if a player can return to a game, taking the decision out of the hands of the coaches and players.
You can see all 15 minutes of Boldin’s Google+ Hangout below.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Tesla Model S Catches Fire in Los Gatos: Fire Dept.
- Martin Jones rebounds from benching to lead Sharks to fifth straight win
- Sharks beat Wild for fifth straight win behind Logan Couture, Martin Jones
- Couture Scores Two as Sharks Blank Wild For 5th Straight Win
- Shot of the Game: Lukas Radil finds Logan Couture with beautiful feed
- 49ers' DeForest Buckner snubbed from Pro Bowl, and that's ridiculous
- San Francisco Mayor Requests Brother's Early Release
- Joe Pavelski doubles Sharks lead vs. Wild thanks to sweet Tomas Hertl setup
- Logan Couture buries Lukas Radil's pass to put Sharks on the board vs. Wild
- Logan Couture caps off crazy passing sequence with second goal vs. Wild
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|