Oct 15, 2013, 5:00 PM PDT
San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Anquan Boldin doesn’t think the NFL takes player safety seriously. He is citing Thursday Night Football as his prime example.
Having seen a lot in his 11-year NFL career, Boldin didn’t hesitate to speak his mind when asked about player safety during a Google+ Hangout hosted by Bay Area News Group.
“There are some things that just don’t make sense to me,” Boldin said during the video conference. “If you’re so concerned about player safety, then why do you have every team in the NFL playing on Thursday nights after they just competed on Sunday, knowing exactly how difficult it is for guys to get back to being healthy after playing Sunday?”
“Guys really don’t feel like they are back until probably Thursday or Friday to get prepared for that next week,” Boldin added.
Boldin’s opinion is respected, especially when it comes to the issue of safety in the NFL. In 2008, while a member of the Arizona Cardinals, Boldin was the victim of a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit that knocked him out cold and fractured a sinus membrane in his face. He underwent surgery and returned to the field after missing just two games.
“I think the league is covering their butt,” Boldin said with a laugh.
He did note that he likes the league’s sideline testing process after a player takes a hard hit. He credited the league for using outside doctors to determine if a player can return to a game, taking the decision out of the hands of the coaches and players.
You can see all 15 minutes of Boldin’s Google+ Hangout below.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warriors solve three major problems by cutting back on fouls vs. Suns
- Three-Alarm Fire at SF Apartment Building Contained: SFFD
- Judge Upholds Weed Killer Verdict, Reduces Jury Award
- Man, 73, Cited For Vandalizing Candidate Campaign Sign
- Giants cut Kelby Tomlinson, four more from 40-man roster before MLB offseason
- Steph Curry, Dell Curry move up on NBA's father-son scoring list
- NFL rumors: Derek Carr has 'fractured relationship' with Raiders teammates
- Mayor Orders Removal of OPD's Sexual Assault Waiver
- Klay Thompson leaves Warriors-Suns out of caution; ankle sprain not serious
- Steph Curry's mom gets volleyball-style assist on jumper in warmups
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|