Oct 16, 2013, 1:52 PM PST
Three people with strong Stanford University ties will be on the 13-member committee to select the teams for the first College Football Playoff.
Condoleezza Rice, a Stanford University professor and former Secretary of the State, is one of the members of the committee. Also named were former Stanford head coach Tyrone Willingham and Oliver Luck, the father of former Stanford quarterback, Andrew Luck.
The first College Football Playoff is set to take place at the end of the 2014 season and the entire list of committee members tasked to select the four participating teams were unanimously selected. The announcement was made by Bill Hancock, the executive director of the College Football Playoffs. In the release, it is noted that the committee members have roughly 230 years of combined college football experience.
Unlike the Bowl Championship Series, the College Football Playoff will take into account more than statistical analysis, polls and computer data. The committee members will be presented with similar figures, but will be trusted to look at other factors as they decide which teams get into the playoff games.
Here’s the entire list of members as released by the College Football Playoff website:
Jeff Long, vice chancellor and director of athletics, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, Chair
Barry Alvarez, director of athletics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Lieutenant General Mike Gould, former superintendent of the United States Air Force Academy
Pat Haden, director of athletics, University of Southern California
Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive vice president
Oliver Luck, director of athletics, West Virginia University
Archie Manning, former University of Mississippi quarterback and all-pro NFL quarterback
Tom Osborne, former head coach and director of athletics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Dan Radakovich, director of athletics, Clemson University
Condoleezza Rice, Stanford University professor, former Stanford provost and former United States Secretary of State
Mike Tranghese, former commissioner of the Big East Conference
Steve Wieberg, former college football reporter, USA Today
Tyrone Willingham, former head coach of three FBS institutions
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- WWE Superstar announces he is gay, receives overwhelming support
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Sharks GM Wilson indicates blockbuster trade unlikely
- Warriors will make Kerr's brain shoot out of his nostrils
- Shot of the Game: Livingston with circus shot over Celtics
- Stanford goes cold in final minute, loses to Oregon
- Sharks trade Sheppard to Rangers for draft pick
- On Senior Day, Cal knocks off Oregon State
- Sinking Sharks hold 'Sunday Funday'
- Source: Raiders to release LaMarr Woodley
- The San Jose Sharks' belief system has collapsed
- Report: Sharks place McGinn on waivers
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|