Oct 28, 2013, 9:40 AM PST
Welcome to A case of the Mondays. There’s always a lot going on during the weekend. If you weren’t lucky enough to spend the past two days on the couch, you can catch up on the top five sports items you may have missed here.
No. 1 – Tarver flips the bird: War Pigeon used to be the most talked about bird at the Oakland Coliseum. Not anymore. Raiders defensive coordinator Jason Tarver sort of lost it during his team’s 21-18 win on Sunday. He flipped off referees and yelled a few words that probably won’t fly with the league.
By choosing to lift one wrong finger, our Raiders Insider Scott Bair writes that Tarver can expect a five-figure fine. It’s like they say, a bird in the hand is worth 50 grand to the commish. Or something like that.
No. 2 – The Bay Area’s running quarterbacks are fast: Colin Kaepernick was ready to steal the local headlines with his fleet-footed effort on the mushy turf at Wembley Stadium.
Kap ran for 54 yards and two touchdowns against the Jaguars. But Terrelle Pryor stole the show on the Raiders’ first play from scrimmage, when he broke a 93-yard touchdown run. TP2’s run was the longest such run by a quarterback in NFL history.
The accolades don’t stop there. It was also the longest touchdown run in Oakland Raiders history. Bo Jackson held the previous record with a 92-yard touchdown.
Kaepernick has 294 rushing yards this season, but Pryor has almost 100 more yards on the ground (391) and the Raiders have already had their bye week.
The careers of these two young men will be incredibly fun to watch.
No. 3 – The Union Jags: There’s a loyal group of Jacksonville Jaguars fans in the United Kingdom called “The Union Jags.” They are clearly a resilient bunch. The San Francisco 49ers’ 42-10 walloping of the Jags was one of the least embarrassing aspects of their day. No one expected the Jags to win the game, and the “Jaguras” didn’t need any help making fools of themselves.
When this is the coolest Jaguars related thing that happened during the game, you know you’ve hit rock bottom:
No. 4 – This World Series is weird: No World Series game had ever ended on an obstruction call. Then on Saturday, this happened:
No World Series had ever ended on a pickoff. Then on Sunday, this happened:
I’m thinking Game 5 will be decided by a walkoff bean ball.
No. 5 – The best catch of the weekend: Watch how Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant uses his facemask to cradle the ball while fighting off two defenders before landing and maneuvering to stay in bounds. Bryant made this overthrown ball into double coverage look like a perfect strike.
Later, he made Terrell Owens look like an angel with an epic sideline meltdown. Because America’s Team is all class.
Three to see:
If you’ve made it this far, clearly you have some time on your hands. Here are three stories that you simply must see:
— This Fresno State touchdown was no-doubt the weirdest scoring effort of the weekend. You know it’s good when the video is from a guy shooting his TV with a cell phone! It only enhances the weirdness.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- VIDEO: SF Batkid saves Giants' mascot Lou Seal from Penguin
- Field of Links: Dodgers' disrespectful dunk, Coco's many handshakes, Giants rookies strip down
- Former Cal Bear Jaylen Brown holds heavy heart in win over Warriors
- Khalil Mack wants to be Raider for life: 'That’s a no-brainer for me'
- A's Hire Design Firms For Proposed New Baseball Stadium
- Awards season reminds us how far Giants fell in 2017
- Five Men Sue San Jose Police, City For Gay Sting Operation
- Steinle Trial: Jurors Can Consider 1st-Degree Murder Verdict
- UC Regents Chastise System President's ‘Poor Judgment’
- First New Muni Train Goes Into Service in San Francisco
- Escaped 'Psychopath' Explains Why He Fled Hawaii Hospital
- Tesla Unveils Plans For Electric Semi, New Roadster
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|