Oct 28, 2013, 1:10 PM PDT
His name is Joey “Jaws” Chestnut, but his tummy deserves most of the credit. On Saturday, Chestnut, a San Jose native and national treasure, gobbled down 121 Twinkies in six minutes at Bally’s Casino in Tunica, Miss., as part of a Major League Eating event. He won $2,500 for his efforts.
Just thinking of eating over 100 of the cream-filled treats is enough to sour the stomach of a normal person. For Chestnut, it’s just another day on the job. He is widely considered to be the best competitive eater in the world. Chestnut recently set a world record by eating 54 Brain Tacos, on July 4, he ate 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes and in August, he ate 251 potstickers.
The world record for most Twinkies devoured in a minute is 14 — set by Takeru Kobayashi. Chestnut managed to average 20 Twinkies per minute over the span of this contest.
Kobayashi is banned from Major League Eating after a contract dispute, but Chestnut has a new rival. Matt “The Megatoad” Stonie, also from San Jose, threw down 111 Twinkies to finish in second place. He defeated Chestnut last August in the potsticker eating contest and also defeated him in a recent asparagus eating contest.
There was a time in which Twinkies were off the shelf and feared to be extinct. If Chestnut and Stonie keep up their pace, there might be another Twinkie scare.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why Tottenham Hotspur hiring José Mourinho is no match made in heaven
- Bumping is Back: More Passengers Booted from Flights
- Stabbing on BART Train Shuts Down South Hayward Station
- City Settles Civil Rights Suit Filed by Palo Alto Man
- PG&E to Shut Off Power in 18 Counties, Three in Bay Area
- Kings' accumulated depth paying dividends as team creeps back to .500
- Bogdan Bogdanovic catches fire as Kings stay hot, finish off win over Suns
- List: School Closures Due to PG&E Power Shutoffs
- Warriors' hard work finally 'rewarded' with skid-busting win in Memphis
- Shot of the Game: Bogdan Bogdanovic drains 3-pointer for new scoring high
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|