Oct 28, 2013, 1:10 PM PDT
His name is Joey “Jaws” Chestnut, but his tummy deserves most of the credit. On Saturday, Chestnut, a San Jose native and national treasure, gobbled down 121 Twinkies in six minutes at Bally’s Casino in Tunica, Miss., as part of a Major League Eating event. He won $2,500 for his efforts.
Just thinking of eating over 100 of the cream-filled treats is enough to sour the stomach of a normal person. For Chestnut, it’s just another day on the job. He is widely considered to be the best competitive eater in the world. Chestnut recently set a world record by eating 54 Brain Tacos, on July 4, he ate 69 hot dogs in 10 minutes and in August, he ate 251 potstickers.
The world record for most Twinkies devoured in a minute is 14 — set by Takeru Kobayashi. Chestnut managed to average 20 Twinkies per minute over the span of this contest.
Kobayashi is banned from Major League Eating after a contract dispute, but Chestnut has a new rival. Matt “The Megatoad” Stonie, also from San Jose, threw down 111 Twinkies to finish in second place. He defeated Chestnut last August in the potsticker eating contest and also defeated him in a recent asparagus eating contest.
There was a time in which Twinkies were off the shelf and feared to be extinct. If Chestnut and Stonie keep up their pace, there might be another Twinkie scare.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- Super Bowl players' pregame playlists revealed
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- A Minecraft gamer built a virtual Levi's Stadium out of blocks
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Rewind: Fragile Sharks blow another late lead to Jackets
- Shot of the Game: Pavelski ties it in third period
- Lakers could stink for years, and not because of Kobe
- Lakers' Nash ruled out for season
- Instant Replay: Sharks blow two leads, fall to Jackets 5-4
- World Series notes: Royals, Giants consider OF changes, etc.
- Strickland 'embarrassed', hopes for another chance
- Lincecum upbeat, 'feels normal' after playing catch
- Seahawks' Wilson blames media for Harvin conjecture
- Bochy applauds Giants rookie Strickland for ownership
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|
|anaympatel on Check out Stephen Curry’…|