Oct 28, 2013, 2:12 PM PDT
Kerri Walsh Jennings has become a household name while playing what most would consider a fringe sport. In many ways, she put beach volleyball on the map and helped it become one of the more popular Olympic sports. On Sunday, the Santa Clara native won her 113th tournament to become the all-time winningest female beach volleyball player.
Walsh Jennings, 35, passed her longtime teammate Misty May-Treanor, who is now retired, with the win. The victory came alongside April Ross in the Xiamen Grand Slam in China.
“I have been blessed in my career as a professional beach volleyball player, and I am so grateful to all those who have helped me to chase my dreams with such success,” Walsh Jennings said in a press release. “I’m proud, I’m humbled and I’m inspired to keep fighting for my dreams and for this great sport.”
The way in which Walsh Jennings has dominated her sport is very rare. She is a three-time Olympic gold medalist and won her first event in 2001. According to the Association of Volleyball Professionals, Walsh has won 60 percent of the tournaments that she has entered. She has won tournaments on five of the seven continents (she has never played in Australia or Antarctica) and in 18 different countries.
Walsh Jennings is a mother of three and several years older than most of her competitors, but she is sticking around long enough to compete in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It would be hard to imagine Olympic Beach Volleyball without both Walsh Jennings and May-Treanor.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- Ghost Ship Trial: 3 Jurors Dismissed; Deliberations Restart
- Pleasant Hill Votes Down Recreational Pot Businesses
- Criminal Complaints Against 8 in Contra Costa Sideshows
- Mountain Lion Family Spotted Along South Bay Hiking Trail
- 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo knocks off rust despite few reps in preseason debut
- San Jose’s Bumpy Roads Are Getting a Makeover
- No Death Penalty Sought in Nia Wilson BART Stabbing Case: DA
- Garoppolo Flops in Debut, But 49ers Beat Broncos
- Warriors' Steph Curry amazed by Andre Iguodala's stellar drive off tee
- No Phones: San Mateo High Launches New Program For Students
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Kings’ I…|
|louiecarmae on Snoop Dogg: ‘Raiders are…|
|louiecarmae on Case of the Mondays: Seahawks…|
|louiecarmae on Field of Links: Seahawks fan g…|
|louiecarmae on Johnny Football vastly outdraw…|