Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 AM PDT
The Major League Baseball Manager of the Year award recipients will be named this evening. Oakland Athletics skipper Bob Melvin, while very deserving, could have a tough time taking home the hardware for a second year in a row. Former Atlanta Braves manager Bobby Cox is the only manager to win the award in consecutive seasons (2004-2005). No American League manager has ever won the award in back-to-back years.
It’s a tough award to win consecutively because it usually goes to the skipper that is responsible for leading an unexpected team to victory. The A’s won the division after an improbable run in 2012 and defended their AL West championship in 2013.
There’s already one major sign that Melvin won’t win this time around. Last season, A’s general manager Billy Beane was named Executive of the Year and Bob Melvin was named Manager of the Year. Boston Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has already been named Executive of the Year in 2013. It wouldn’t be a big surprise to see Red Sox manager John Farrell to follow suit take home Manager of the Year honors.
Sure, the A’s did more with less payroll, but they did the same thing last year. The Red Sox went from worst to first and that’s the kind of stuff the voters recognize. By the way, ballots were filled out before the postseason, so the Red Sox winning the World Series doesn’t factor in the vote.
— It’s the third anniversary of the Golden State Warriors’ new ownership group. Our Warriors Insider marked the occasion by spending some time with owner Joe Lacob in an exclusive interview. Find out why Lacob thinks the move that got him publicly booed at Oracle Arena was his best as an owner.
The Warriors players should forego a card and bouquet and reward the men responsible for the franchise’s turnaround with a home win against the Detroit Pistons. The Warriors have lost two games in a row, but Stephen Curry only played in one of those games.
— Bay Area fans haven’t had much to smile about lately. With that in mind, they probably got a satisfying smirk in at the expense of the Los Angeles Dodgers and Yasiel Puig. The flashy Cuban outfielder was the runner up to Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez for the NL Rookie of the Year award. Bat flip that, Puig.
A’s starting pitcher Dan Straily finished fourth place in the voting for the AL Rookie of the Year award.
There’s no vote needed below. These links are unanimous winners.
Field of Links:
— Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe was arrested for speeding and marijuana possession. The 9-0 Chiefs take on Peyton Manning and the Broncos on Sunday.
Field of Teams
Join us on the Field of Teams as we cover the fun, viral, sometimes even downright weird aspects of Bay Area sports, powered by Casey Pratt and the CSNBayArea.com staff.
Do you have a nugget for our Field of Teams staff? Is there something about Bay Area sports you've always wanted to know? Email us and let us know -- if we use it, we got a t-shirt in it for ya.
Top Posts & Pages
- TBT: After losing his arm and career, Dave Dravecky had to find himself
- TBT: Juan Marichal attacks John Roseboro with a bat
- A Bay Area tattoo shop is offering 49ers tattoos for $49
- Ever wonder what happened to the Warriors' old mascot?
- Here are the many different A's stadium renderings through the years
- Giants will start Heston on Friday, hoping for his 'best shot'
- Giants GM Evans: Lincecum 'out for the season'
- Judge rules against NFL, nullifies Brady's four-game suspension
- Highlights: Giants fall victim to Kershaw, Dodgers in LA
- LA Kings, Kopitar 'not even in the ballpark' on new deal
- Wife of Washington GM apologizes for remarks about reporter
- Would Chancellor sit 2015 out? Ex-Seahawks teammate says yes
- Giants lineup: Crawford remains out vs Dodgers
- Gray tagged for six early runs in A's 9-4 loss to Angels
- Ex-49ers RB Phillips charged with first-degree murder
|nannettejeastbayrn on Andrew Bogut is an avid muscle…|
|lauramacky on A’s fans flex creative m…|
|mustangs94 on A glimpse inside NaVorro Bowma…|
|L. Alger on Check out Stephen Curry’…|
|gbories2014 on Super Bowl players’ preg…|